• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest LLL

Driving Light Removal Help

Guest LLL

Hi,

I've just been trying to replace the rusty old driving lights on my recently purchased GTi (loving it by the way :( ) and I don't seem to be able to remove the old lights.

The nut and thread underneith the lights behind the bumper are rusted to hell on both sides. One side I can't move at all and I feel like if I tried any harder i'm going to damage the bumper! I'll attack that one with sdome anti-cease spray tomorrow - unless there are any other sugestions?

The other light however is currenty more of a problem - when trying to undo the nut, the whole nut and threaded bar turns. Theres no access to the top of the threaded bar to clamp it and stop it from turning while trying to work the nut free so i'm a bit stuck and i'm admittedly fairly new to getting my hands dirty so i'm out of ideas!! I could probably grip the bottom of the threaded bar with some mole grips but I don't want to damage the threads because I want to replace the lights immediately.

Any suggestions or tricks of the trade would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob.

welshpug

when I fitted new units I just used a nut splitter, but new lamps come with the bolts IIRC so it'll be fine to use an angle grinder (check first though...)

make sure you get the right units from GSF, part number - T94912, no other supplier bar 205 parts and neat auto's seem to supply the right units.

matty_gti

Simple answer......Angle grinder....sparks fly....old ones fall out.....you bolt in new ones...simple. Thats what i did:D

Matt

Atari Boy

Yes, angle grinder is the way. I got one at Argos cheaply enough.

DaveK

Yep, i know the feeling mate, i was abit shocked at the size of the bloody bolts pug use to hold them on aswell

That + rust = mr angle grinder

Guest LLL

Thanks for the advice people.

What would be the best angle of attack with a grinder??

welshpug

remove the bumper, easy access then.

matty_gti
Thanks for the advice people.

What would be the best angle of attack with a grinder??

There is a metal bracket that bolts from the thread on the lamp to the body of the car to hold it all stiff, grind away just under this so basiaclly your gringing the nut away.

Atari Boy

Exactly

I was either lazy or stupid (or both) as I kept the bumper on, I lifted the car up at the front and went for it from underneath.

Grind off the nut, it takes a little while as it is, as you say, weirdly oversized for the job.

Remember to wear a long sleeved top though :)

matty_gti

I swear i keep posting replys before welshpug :wub::huh:

stutto

I just drilled through the nut on one of mine.

Sign in to follow this