• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest KayMarie

Tyre Sizes.

Guest KayMarie

I took my car for two new back tyre's yesterday, as it was a must for the MOT. The previous owner had put 165's on one back tyre and 175's on the other

I have 185's on the front, so i though, i'll get them matched up. Went in, £60 and bobs your uncle, two nice new tyre's, or so i thought. I got not even 100 yards down the road and heard this awful noise and smelt burning rubber. So, i took them back up to the garage, the lifted it up and low and behold "Oh yeah, they're too big for the arch, you'll have to change them". So i got 175's put on and the charged me the same amount again.

Its been fine and there hasn't been any noise until tonight, when i went and did the shopping and the load in the back caused the noise to come back a little, which makes me think its rubbing slightly again!

Its due for its MOT tomorrow and I'm sh*tting bricks in case they fail it on the tyre's, which i don't think they will, cause when the back of the car is empty its fine, its just with a heavy load in the boot, it makes the rubbing noise, ever so slightly again!

Anyway, I was wondering what size tyre's everyone has one their cars?

Because I'm scared in case its the rear beam, or even worse, if the back end is bent from something? Also, when they had it up on ramps, we were looking underneath and it has been welded, but i have not been told its been crashed before? We've measured the camber and its seams fine but the side its rubbing on, the wheels is a centimeter closer to the arch then the non rubbing side...

I guess this is why the precious guy had 165's on the rubbing side...

Any ideas?

swordfish210

sounds like the car has been in a shunt and it's moved the whole back axle to one side, which can be downright dangerous, not sure what you would do about that, i'm running 195 section tyres on 1.9 speedline wheels and they're fine, no rubbing at all. FYI wrong section this should be in the suspension and brakes section but never mind

welshpug

unfortunately it does sound like a rear beam issue as I have seen base model 205's with gti wheels and they only scrubbed a tiny amount.

It could also be the mounting bushes on the rear beam, see what the MOT man says.

Guest KayMarie

Sorry, I forgot to add that I drive a 106 XSi, not a 205 GTI :)

And also, it had an MOT done last week and he never picked up on this problem but i have noticed after having a couple of jobs done to get it through the MOT.

Edited by KayMarie

Jrod

I'm using 215's but that's slightly different. :)

It's all to do with the profile, standard is 175/60/14 IIRC

What size did they fit? Also are they the original alloys all round?

Edited by Jrod

welshpug

I thought gti alloys on the 106 used 185 55 14? certainly do on the saxo VTR and VTS!

Mikey S

i would take the wheels off and have a measure up of the drums. i had a 306 with exactly the same problem as yours and it turned out to be the wrong drum for the car bring the wheel close to the arch.

i doubt very much if the whole beam has shifted over though. it wouldnt be very nice to drive if it had.

106's are prone to corrosion on the floors, they tend to crack around the seat mounts and handbrakes so i wouldnt worry too much about that.

Edited by pugger

djinuk

i have 195/45/15s on my speedlines, nice harsh ride and looks smart

Guest KayMarie

Well she's gone in for her MOT today ands i've heard no rubbing won the way there etc.. Cos there isn't a load in. As long as she passes the MOT, I'l sort the problem out after.

She's lovely to drive, so if it is a big problem, its not a noticeable one.

Thanks for all your advice, I'll check through everything when she gets back!

Jrod

Yep as I say make sure they are 175/60 and not 65 or soemthing similar, then if the wheels are all original alloys (so the offset will all be coreect) check the drums like mentioned.

Also might be worth checking you still have bumpstops as these should prevent it from bottoming out.

Guest KayMarie

Well it passed the MOT fine, and the serviced all the back drums, cleaning and re -aligning them or something, so i'll keep my out out for the noise but i'll check it all over on Saturday when I'm cleaning her up for FCS!

number2301

A few more details on this, they tyres are 175/65s to match the 185/60s on the front, I don't have it to hand but I thought the standards were 175/65s? Anyway just to clarify, its not rubbing on the top its rubbing on the sidewall (if you look in the arches there are three rectangular protrusions for want of a better word on the inner arch on both sides).

Does it sound like a rear beam problem or a bent car problem? I'd like to know whether its more an issue of fixing the rear beam or binning the car.

Another point, from the outside of the arches the wheels are in the same place, and the camber from what I can measure seems near enough identical. Its really confusing me now.

I know we could always get the arches rolled to fit decent sized tyres in, but how much point is there if the car itself is bent!

(For anyone who's confused, I'm KayMarie's other half :) )

Sign in to follow this