• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bren_1.3

Sensor Loom

bren_1.3

hello all,

as the rallye / gti hybrid draws to some semblance of a close i have a few question regarding engine sensors.

as far as i can tell the XS / Rallye sensor loom consists of the sensors located-:

1) on the top of the thermostat housing - water temperature?

2) underneath the distributor housing. (19mm screws into side of the head) - is this the oil pressure switch?

3) on the front of the engine block - what is it?

ive had a boss welded into the sump to take a sensor from the GTi loom, i think its the oil temperature switch by the looks of things. (its the one that always catches on the GTi exhaust manifold and dies)

the GTi loom has two sensors that screw into the front of the block, which one do i need? i read a thread about where you could get an adaptor to fit one from, but the place i suggested was seriously expensive. circa a tenner delivered. anyone know where to find one cheaper?

has anyone managed to keep all the gti sensors functioning when wiring up a TU engine?

ive attached a photo to help.

piccie

RossD
hello all,

as the rallye / gti hybrid draws to some semblance of a close i have a few question regarding engine sensors.

as far as i can tell the XS / Rallye sensor loom consists of the sensors located-:

1) on the top of the thermostat housing - water temperature?

2) underneath the distributor housing. (19mm screws into side of the head) - is this the oil pressure switch?

3) on the front of the engine block - what is it?

ive had a boss welded into the sump to take a sensor from the GTi loom, i think its the oil temperature switch by the looks of things. (its the one that always catches on the GTi exhaust manifold and dies)

the GTi loom has two sensors that screw into the front of the block, which one do i need? i read a thread about where you could get an adaptor to fit one from, but the place i suggested was seriously expensive. circa a tenner delivered. anyone know where to find one cheaper?

has anyone managed to keep all the gti sensors functioning when wiring up a TU engine?

ive attached a photo to help.

piccie

The one on the front of the block is the oil pressure switch for the oil pressure warning light. The one on the thermostat housing and the one underneath the distributor housing are both thermistors... When I addeda coolant temp gauge to my old 205 yonks back I used the one in the head and it seemed to work and the one in the thermo housing did the same... The one in the thermo housing actually is immersed in coolant but the one in the head is screwed into a blind hole. Odd.

trogboy

I think the one in the head is an oil teperature sensor of perhaps something to do with the general engine temp for the injection engines but doesn't seem to be actively used on the carbed TU engines.

I spent a little time trying to work out why my engine was over heating when I got the wires mixed up for that sensor and the one in the thermostat housing - Doh! :)

bren_1.3

thanks people. much clearer now with this!

Sign in to follow this