• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Be3 Box Help

Richie-Van-GTi

We are picking chris's MI up later from the rolling road, still not mapped as it blew a hole in the diff casing. They found a nut which isnt part of the gearbox but has been through the gearbox and caused the issue.

How likely is it the box internals are fubar? Could we just swap the diff housing with shafts and box in place?

The garage descrivbed the event as they drove the car 5 yards forwards, it locked for a second then there was a thud and it droive again but dumped all the oil. Ive been and had a look and theres a hole about the size of a 50p in the back of the casing.

welshpug

have a look what bolt/nut it is if theres anything left of it, you need to work out where it came from, and what route it took to get there!

Richie-Van-GTi

we know exactly what the nut is, is its one of the brand new ones we had in a bag for putting the exhaust mani on. Baffled by how it got into the gearbox.

decided its safest to just lob my spare gearbox on the car for FCS as I know this box had a recent rebuild then strip the other box down and check what damage there is.

Miles

Always a hard question but draining the oil normaly tell's if any mess has got into the box itself but you can get away sometime's, The shaft's can stay in if it's just the diff caseing your swaping but I belt a gear tooth or 2 has been damaged on the crown wheel

Richie-Van-GTi

all sorted now. Took the box out, removed diff casing and luckily theres no damage at all to any teeth. the only mess was to the casing, the nut has dug in sideways alongside the cogs and been dragged through scoring the casing itself until it finally exited making a nice hole. Put a new diff casing on and all is good :lol:

Sign in to follow this