• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Discostu

Turbo Clutch

Discostu

I'm havin difficulty finding a clutch that will handle the torque it produces at 1bar. Standard mi16 clutches are lasting about 3wks :ph34r:

Without going the paddle clutch route (which i guess i will have to unless there is no alternative) i was wondering what clutches other pepole are using. Using the mi16 flywheel i am wondering if a 306 turbo diesel clutch will fit and handle the extra torque?

Any suggestions welcomed, thanks :D

Mikey S
I'm havin difficulty finding a clutch that will handle the torque it produces at 1bar. Standard mi16 clutches are lasting about 3wks :ph34r:

Without going the paddle clutch route (which i guess i will have to unless there is no alternative) i was wondering what clutches other pepole are using. Using the mi16 flywheel i am wondering if a 306 turbo diesel clutch will fit and handle the extra torque?

Any suggestions welcomed, thanks :D

the 306 td is a pull type so unless you could mod the release fork and cable thats a bit of a nogo.

you could try an 405 1.8 td clutch. those are 215mm (same as mi16) and there push type.

welshpug

the 306 TD clutch is the same clutch as the 405 Mi16, 306 S16 and GTi6 uses, pull type 215mm.

maybe see what the HDi engines use? as they produce a fair whack of torque.

Discostu

Ah rite i thought the earlier 306 ones were the same, my mistake. I could modify the release mechanism i guess but its not worth the hassle.

If i do decide to go Helix or AP, etc i'm wondering whether it would be worth purchasing just the cover and run a normal mi16 plate. I'l have to take a look what the standard torque fugure of the 405 td ones are, thanks chugger

Mikey S

let us know what you find out mate, im planing on running mine at 1 bar-ish so if it eats clutchs that rapid im gonna be pissed! :D

if its any help the 405 td makes around 150 lbft of torque.

Discostu

I will most definately keep u informed as i'm looking into finding a fix within the next few weeks. At 1bar i'd estimate the torque to be around 190 lb/ft so i dont think that the 405 td would be upto the job. Any idea what size clutch the T16 uses, i'd assume its probably the bigger 225mm?

Edited by Discostu

205turbo

you must be caining the nuts if the car if they only last 3 weeks, :wacko:

I used mi16 clutches before and they lasted at least 8 months in mine.

I fitted a Heavy duty 205 Dturbo clutch this time round,

Discostu
you must be caining the nuts if the car if they only last 3 weeks, :)

Thats the whole idea of building something so crazy :wacko: lol

Maybe a fast road mi16 clutch will be upto the job then. How much boost are u running if u dont mind asking?

Where did u purchase u'r clutch? What makes it Heavy Duty?

*soz for all the question, its just that the clutch problem is the only thing stopping me from enjoying the car to its full*

pdd144c

Helix are the way to go... Under £300. T16 are 235mm.

205turbo
Thats the whole idea of building something so crazy :wacko: lol

Maybe a fast road mi16 clutch will be upto the job then. How much boost are u running if u dont mind asking?

Where did u purchase u'r clutch? What makes it Heavy Duty?

*soz for all the question, its just that the clutch problem is the only thing stopping me from enjoying the car to its full*

i was running 18psi with the old t25 turbo (242 bhp) now i have the gt28r it will be 12psi as the emerald seem to make more power with less boost (5psi on rollers @ emerald was 170 bhp)

i got mine through are parts suplyer, Heavy duty ones have the same friction plate material but a stronger cover plate, mainly used in cars that do a lot of towing and have lots of load on them.

cheers

paul

TEKNOPUG

I'd go for a Helix organic plate & cover as Paul says. They (Helix) only rate them at about 150lbs/ft but that's nonsense. It'll easily handle anything that you can throw at it with your set up. Get your flywheel lightened and balanced while your at it - will make a noticeable difference,

bales

I know this is a bit off topic but how are you running a bar? has your ecu been remapped or are you just upping the boost on the standard turbo and running it like that.

Incidentally my clutch has been fine so far and it is an mi16 clutch, but I am just running standard boost at the mo, to be honest I think at a bar you will be running quite a lot more than 190lb/ft as it is going to be 180 ish standard with a decent intercooler and exhaust.

Henry Yorke
Incidentally my clutch has been fine so far and it is an mi16 clutch, but I am just running standard boost at the mo, to be honest I think at a bar you will be running quite a lot more than 190lb/ft as it is going to be 180 ish standard with a decent intercooler and exhaust.

I was wondering that as my 0.5 bar engine on a T25 makes 195lb/ft. I use an Mix4 flywheel and clutch

Discostu

I fitted a h/duty 1.7td clutch today and all seams fine so far, i'l keep u all informed as to how long it lasts tho lol

As for the torque figure i was guessing, now that i have a clutch i can put it on the rollers and find out for sure :P

Hilgie

306HDis use a 230mm push-type clutch but it does not fit the Mi16 flywheel nor the 2.0T flywheel (alhtough both are 230mm).

I have modified one to fit, but haven't been able to test it.

vern

I have a Helix clutch with no problems yet (230bhp, 235 lbft), clutch pedal is a bit heavy but liveable every day.

sonofsam

Yeah mines been fine too, been driving on it for about 10 months now and about 2k miles.

(given plenty of stick daily;) and absolutley no sign of slipping.

T'is a new Valeo one though!

Discostu

Maybe i just had a dodgy clutch then :blush:

Oh well, hopefully this td one will give me no problems. Thanx for the advice guys

Guest DanielVTS

I used a Helix clutch on a lightweight steel flywheel in my remapped Bora TDi (200 bhp, 320 lbft) for 6 months of road use (115 miles/day) and half a dozen sprints and hillclimbs. It was excellent. I only changed it because it made the gearbox rattle, I've put the dual mass flywheel back in with an uprated Sachs clutch now, to keep me sane in traffic jams! You will have no such noise issues on a petrol engine. When it came out it still had planty of life left in it.... years of road driving I would think... and I'm not exactly gentle on it!

TEKNOPUG

As far as I am aware looking at all the paperwork that came with my car, it's still running the original Helix clutch - 96k later

Edited by TEKNOPUG

JR20516V

Any part # on the Helix orgnic plate and cover guys??

Sign in to follow this