• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bea5ty

Quick Question On Bhp

bea5ty

Just wondering if the power figure given by peugeot when the car was new was measured at the flywheel or at the wheels? Form memory the figure for the 1.9 GTI was 129bhp but I dont know where it was measured from.

Ryan

Flywheel. Although it was a pretty optimistic guess too. :)

Miles

Always the Flywheel as it's a higher figure for one, But most 1.9's are around the 120 mark

Ahl
Always the Flywheel as it's a higher figure for one, But most 1.9's are around the 120 mark

Please make sure and differentiate between old and new cars here. Most OLD 1.9's are around the 120 mark!

A good rebuilt 1.9 would seem to attain the book bhp figure easily enough.

welshpug
Please make sure and differentiate between old and new cars here. Most OLD 1.9's are around the 120 mark!

A good rebuilt 1.9 would seem to attain the book bhp figure easily enough.

I agree with that, I know you shouldnt compare Dyno figures (but WTF not??) but my std 1.9 made 122bhp and 158 Nm back in December, I tuned it myself by ear and nose, and I have a receipt for a dealer rebuild 30k miles ago, since then I have refitted the STD airbox and it seems even better :rolleyes:

6bhp off the book figure of 128 isnt bad at all I think :D

Rob_the_Sparky

Not when old 1.6s and Mis are making pretty much spot on book on the same RR on the same day.

welshpug

there werent any of either there, though there was another standard 205 that was pinking a lot and made 121bhp, and a fast road cammed 205 (jenna's) that amusingly made less torque than my engine!

sutol

I can't see why an old engine which has been looked after and is on tune should not make more horse power than a new engine.post-9302-1183753607.gif

The old engine is or should be free reving due to bigger tolerances through wear and if the rings are in good order then compressions will be good , no wa a meen.

Go on,,, correct me if I'm wrong

welshpug

yep, totally!

my mum's 405 is doing more MPG now at 257k than it did when she bought it on 172k :D and it still pulls like a train.

Beastie
I can't see why an old engine which has been looked after and is on tune should not make more horse power than a new engine.post-9302-1183753607.gif

The old engine is or should be free reving due to bigger tolerances through wear and if the rings are in good order then compressions will be good , no wa a meen.

I can see where you're coming from but don't forget that the valves and seats may have deteriorated over the years. From experience an old engine with an overhauled cylinder head can go very well. Remember also that if the engine in question is an old 1.6 with plenty of miles on the clock then the camshaft will probably be well worn unless it has been replaced at some time. An awful lot of 1.6 camshafts have unbelievable amounts of wear on the peaks!

James_m

This is what ive always been confused about.

And why would a 1.9 drop power so much more than a 1.6? IIRC the 1.9's dont wear the cam's so heavily as the 1.6's so you'd expect it to be the total opposite!

Maybe the extra stroke wears the rings and liners sooner, but the 'slow' 1.9's dont appear to be knackered in this respect from what i cant tell.

Ahl

That is a good point and something I'd like to know too.

Like Beastie, I found refurbing my head made a massive difference. The only major things I did were to repair the cracked exhaust manifold and relap & reshim the valves (and also do some porting) but it brought the power up to better than book figures.

It really was bloody slow before I did it.

Miles

Always funny thing's engine's, 2 are never alike and I know a few people in the stock formula's flow test a batch of head's and take the best one, Extreme I know for a couple of BHP but it all count's,

The 8v's do wear the guides now, But most Pug engine's I;ve found all to be good with allot of miles on, The liner's do take the abuse well compared to the Iron block one's and it's only the big ends that tend to be the issue,

I know when I had my 1.9 RR on a day with lot's of other's all had low reading's mine made 137bhp, not bad for a std engine with 8k on it

brianthemagical

what happens to the torque figures during the life of the engine? just a thought and if the head is similar for the 1.6 and 1.9 then the age could only be knocking of enough power to be noticed on the 1.9. maybe.

Sign in to follow this