• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dobbo

Diagnostic Port Location?

Guest dobbo

Seems I only come around these parts when I need help.. :guiltysmiley:

I have an intermittent fault which causes my engine diagnostic light to illuminate, so I bought one of those Draper fault code readers.

The instructions say to locate the green 2 pin diagnostic port on the inner wing/relay box/next to expansion tank. I found a 2 pin port on the inner wing but it's not green!?

Dsc00170.jpg

Anyway, the diagnostic reader doesn't work here. So a bit more searching turned up a 2 pin green port over by the airbox:

Dsc00168.jpg

Which looks like it should be the right one:

Dsc00169.jpg

But this wone doesn't work either. So I guess my question is, am I looking in the right place? Mine's a late model K plate with a catalytic converter and (I believe) the later engine management system, hence the diagnostic light.

Can anyone help out a moron who doesn't know what he is doing? Thanks!

:P

pugpaul

Have you checked around the battery area? There should be a cream coloured plug hanging around there.....try that....hope it works!

Miles

Yes thats the one, There's not a diag port by the battery area, Good luck with getting any codes out!!

Andrwn8304

I bought one of them code reads a while after spending 2 weeks and a few trips to the dealers who couldnt find the Green Diag plug either, I emailed Draper to ask if it suitable for the Gti's and was told in polite manner because Draper doesnt make them for Gti's as they dont have a Diag Plug fitted to the engine.

Revla
I bought one of them code reads a while after spending 2 weeks and a few trips to the dealers who couldnt find the Green Diag plug either, I emailed Draper to ask if it suitable for the Gti's and was told in polite manner because Draper doesnt make them for Gti's as they dont have a Diag Plug fitted to the engine.

Yours is probably pre cat so it won't. The later models (late K reg 1.9 on) will I believe.......

simonb

I think it's only the Motronic fitted cares that have them fitted. Earlier ones don't and so you are wasting your time.

Guest dobbo
I think it's only the Motronic fitted cares that have them fitted. Earlier ones don't and so you are wasting your time.

Since mine's one of the last GTIs I assumed it would have one, certainly I thought mine was motronic.

pug_ham
Since mine's one of the last GTIs I assumed it would have one, certainly I thought mine was motronic.
Post your ecu number up & we'll soon let you know if your car is a motronic one or not.

IIRC the Motronic 205's have a black plastic inlet manifold though but yours might have been swapped for an alloy one by a previous owner for some reason.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this