• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Longun

Front End Overhaul

Longun

Right I'm finally getting the final bits sorted for the front end overhall.

So far I have:

309 Shafts and Wishbones.

recon Steering rack

New droplinks

hubs

brakes

I'm getting some new arb bushes and new wishbone bushes but is there anything else that I should change whist the front end is in bits? Any other bushes that should be changed?

Thanks

Duroc

While the rack's out, I'd do the track rods, if there's any hint of play(if not included with the rack) before fixing it back in. If you do, the locking washers that secure them to the rack are unavailable now, but 306 ones seem to fit. I've got some if you need a couple.

I'd also use new pinch bolts on the wishbones, as they need to be in good nick to hold properly/reliably.

Longun

Cheers, I've got new track rod ends already forgot about them as they are already on the rack.

Pinch bolts, not thought of those on the list cheers :D

Pugnut

top mount bearings and grp n doughnuts.

hengti

few more ideas:

- driveshaft boots; if they look at all tired, may as well renew them now?

- diff end oil seals?

- deffo new driveshaft nuts (if they're the staked type)

- top mounts if you're unsure of their condition and fancy dismantling the struts :D

ed. too slow. again!

Edited by hengti

Longun
grp n doughnuts.

Stupid question what is that ^

Didn't think of driveshaft nuts will get some of them will the 309 shafts use the same ones as 1.9 shafts? Was going to do the driveshaft boots just to get them done. Will see about the top mounts when I get the job started.

Daxed
Stupid question what is that ^

Didn't think of driveshaft nuts will get some of them will the 309 shafts use the same ones as 1.9 shafts? Was going to do the driveshaft boots just to get them done. Will see about the top mounts when I get the job started.

With regard to the 'doughnut', it's the front strut top mounts. Upgraded stiffer versions are available if required. If you are going to the bother of replacing the strut bearings then it is worth putting on new mounts whilst disassembled. Stew205 supplied me with up rated ones.

spikey_richie

It DID have some grp N mounts, but I forget which ones. Are they still there Joe?

Edited by spikey_richie

Longun

Not had it apart yet to find out. Its got the lower engine mount on still but I've never checked the rest. The rack has a bit of play now so that needs to be done and as she will be seing some tracks soon I figured get some lower arms etc then I got carried away :D

Baz

Lower mount if it needs it while you're there? :D

Richie-Van-GTi

gear linkages since they will be half off anyway. Maybe fit a quickshift if you dont already have one.

Sign in to follow this