• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tidypug

Mot Woes

tidypug

As you can probably guess my car failed the MOT today. I wasn't at all surprised when it did but i'm a bit annoyed on some of the things that they have failed it on.

1. exhaust too loud - its been the same for 3 years now and its never had a problem now!

2. kink in brake line - i've taken it off and i can't see a kink in it at all.

The brake line doesn't bother me too much as its quite cheap and easy to fix, the exhaust however has really pissed me off :lol: . My whole exhaust isn't an off the shelf item so that means i'm going to have to buy a new system which will cost st least a couple of hundred pounds, a couple of hundred pounds that i just don't have.

Anyone any ideas on how to make a cheap exhaust system?

welshpug

how loud is it? i.e have you done any trackdays and had it measured?

you could get a custom exhaust fabricator to add a longer centre box for not too much money.

hengti

if you think they'll only retest the failures, stick a standard system back on it - maybe just the back box?(scrappie/beg/borrow/steal/etc)

this might not work if they retest the whole car though - could have trouble with emissions that you didn't before - ?

just a thought anyway

t16ryan

Pretty sure they can only fail it if its blowing? Not heard of being able to fail it for being too loud as we have no way to test whats too loud????

t16ryan

EDIT LAST POST

Not heard of many fail it for being too loud as we have no way to test whats too loud???? but it can be failed, usually just an advisory though,

Drew O

if the tester thinks it too loud they'll fail it there is alot of things they can fail you on, say if u had a sunstrip and the wipers went in there by around and inch they could fail it, seen alot of it in work but never fail exhausts for being too loud, just want extra money i guess i reckon goin back to another garage see what they say.

tidypug

this is whats on the fail sheet :

"exhaust sytem noise is clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar vehicle fitted with a standard silencer in average condition"

The backbox is a magnex item so as usual the baffles have started to rattle a bit inside, i presume he thinks that its blowing because of the rattling

Drew O

i always wondered why my system is rattling i now know why

chris1986

don't know if this will help you i have a magnex back box, would need abit of welding for the joint that you can have. not 100% it magnex looks like it though. do you have a middle silencer? as my exhaust with one silencer has never caused problems with mot, you should bring it to our spot. give us a shout if you want the exhaust mate

tidypug

i may well take you up on that please Chris, let me know how much your after for it. Is the backbox from the magnex system or is it the backbox thats sold on its own?

Sandy

Silencers do lose their effectiveness over time, but it is a bit of a subjective fail without any noise testing.

chris1986

tidy pug not sure as it came with the car. and i don't want anything for it if you can collect

Benito

My XSI failed it's MOT last year for The exhust being to loud and emissions. I've got a full custom stainless straight through system on it. I had to fit a new CAT, and got a fabricator to weld in a centre box section to reduce the sound, even though it didn't really make a huge difference, but enough to please the Examiner.

He said though, that the noise was not excessive, just excessive for the vehicle. So basically I could have a TVR Tuscan with full can system fitted, and that would pass fine, as that comes out of the factory sounding like that, but my 106 failed because it doesn't!

The problem with MOT tests, is that it's down to the indivdual Examiner, and what 'They' pick up on as faults.

This year at a different testing centre nothing was said about the exhaust, but the failed me on having a horn that wasn't loud enough!!!

sutol
1. exhaust too loud

Anyone any ideas on how to make a cheap exhaust system?

I once had a problem with a local Policeman regarding a noisy exhaust.

What I did was to find an empty bean can and drill several holes in the bottom. I then stuffed the bean can up the back box as far as I could which deadened the sound.

Sounded crap but pleased the Policeman.

The box was the only box on the system and was an empty motorcycle silencer and this was in the early sixties but may work for you :D:)

You can take the can out after the MOT

Edited by sutol

Mikey S

its at the testers descretion. what i would deem as too loud, another mot tester would probably pass it off as ok. they must be pretty anal to fail it though.

Edited by pugger

brianthemagical

would it be possible to get a rag, wrap a bit of wire around it to extract it afterwards and then stuff that in the entrance (connected to the mid section) of the silencer, doesn't run the risk of it comming out the tailpipe or the exhaust probe hitting it.

Ryan

As said it's upto the tester to decide what exactly is 'too loud'. Some couldn't give a crap as long as it's not blowing, others are pedantic old men for whom anything non-standard is automatically too loud for their senile ears. :)

I'd just go to another MOT place.

tidypug

Chris1986 you have PM :D

Baz
I'd just go to another MOT place.

It'll be recorded, as with everything now due to the computer links.

But they may pass it anyway when they hear it if it really isnt that bad as you say.

Ryan

Easiest way if to ask them to come out and listen - "would you fail that for being too loud?" If they say no then book an MOT, if not try somewhere else...

Sign in to follow this