• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikey_p

Advice On Ebay Add Please

mikey_p

Hi,

I've won this rear beam and was concerned that no-one else bid on it. Now looking at the pictures it appears to be missing parts. I'm a bit useless so am not too sure, but I think the shocks are definatly not included, which i'm guessing isn't a massive problem is it?

Here's the ad.....any comments would be appreciated

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

If that link doesn't work try eBay item number 300122480927

Thanks,

Mike

its missing shocks, drums, shoes, cylinders brake pipes, brake pipe/handbrake brackets

its not a plug and play beam but not too far away

i dont think he has changed the trailing arm shafts, but if he has its a bit of a bargain

Edited by 205007

mikey_p

Ok cool. I'm not worried about thebrake bits as it's going onto my 1.9 so my disks, hubs and everything etc will be swapped over.

How much would the trailing arm shafts cost to replace?

I think i'm going to need a look at that rear beam guide again as i've forgotten what all the parts are.

Thanks for the reply

max0
How much would the trailing arm shafts cost to replace?

Not cheap, about £80 each side. :)

welshpug

£60.00 plus vat EACH, so not far off £80

mikey_p
Not cheap, about £80 each side. :angry:

And what might happen if I didn't replace them? :)

welshpug

depends on how worn they are!

if they are worn the bearings wont last long, then its a vicious circle of faikling seals and corroding bearings and finally a trailing arm shaft making a grooove in the tube.

mikey_p

Should they look much different then in the picture then? as they look ok to my un-trained eye.

Just to get it straight as well, the trailing arm shafts are only visible in the picture of the beam taken apart, and is the long cylindrical (sp?) end of the 'L' shaped peice which is appears to be silver at either end and black in the middle. Is that correct?

welshpug

yes indeed, to ascertain their condition you need to pull them out.

here are a few pictures to show you what you should be looking for.

this shows wear -

PICT0199.jpg

as does this one -

PICT0198.jpg

they should look like this -

PICT0162.jpg

KaspaCti

Hi,

I was looking at that beam too. I asked the seller about the trailing arm shafts and the ride height.

This was his reply:

'Hi Sean

The trailing arm shafts have not been replaced as they are like new!! It should be normal ride height or dropped one spline i cannot be sure until it is fitted to a car ( i normally do the final setup on my car), it can easily be altered as it is fully greased and will slip apart easily.'

I decided against bidding in the end as I couldn't face the drive from Cheshire to Ashford :)

mikey_p

Cheers WelshPug I can see how it doesn't look brand new now (which obviously it isn't according to KaspaCti, so well spotted :D).

..and cheers KaspaCti, that makes me feel slightly better that someone considered bidding on it who has more knowledge then me (but thanks for not bidding, lol).

He seems to know what he is talking about as well, so hopefully he isn't talking complete s*ite about the trailing arm shafts. Although i'm sure they are not like new though, but if they are not excessively worn I will be happy.

I have a drive from Essex to Heathrow now. Woohoo, a trip around the M25, just what I love to do :D.

Sign in to follow this