• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maturin23

205 Steering Rack Movement

maturin23

Was reading the Richard Porter column in this month's Evo mag this weekend.

The article is primarily about Ford's efforts to produce genuinely enjoyable family cars - the 205 was cited as the benchmark for handling.

One comment Richard Parry-Jones made was that "the 205 wasn't perfect - the steering rack moves quite a bit" - I've never heard anything similar, nor have I seen people who are spending £££s on track 205's mention anything about reinforcing or remounting the rack.

he obviously knows his stuff - but is this comment verifiable in practice?

jackherer

Compared to a lot of cars the rack is pretty securely mounted IMO

The column is pretty flexible though, when we welded a cage into my mates car recently we tied it into the bracket that holds the column in the car and it made a noticeable difference.

hengti

haven't read it in context, but that seems an odd thing to say about a car famed for its steering - 'rack moves quite a bit' - in relation to what though? the shell? surely not?

dunno

maturin23

The context was that the 205 was a benchmark for steering and suspension.

He then said that despite that it wasn't perfect however, that the steering rack moved quite a bit, but that it all worked very very well together as Pug set it up by feel rather than just by 'science'.

Edited by maturin23

James_m

Maybe that part of the subframe flexs quite a lot?

Doof

Does he not mean that the rack is quite slow? I've often thought it'd be great if it was a slightly quicker rack.

Dino

Perhaps you should write in to EVO and question what Richard Porter actually meant and that in your experience blah blah blah

maturin23

:blink:

I'd question Richard Porter (although I know he's a 205 GTI fan) but Richard Parry Jones probably knows what he's talking about!

Dino

lol

Thats what I meant!

Sandy

I read that with interest too. I would agree that the column is pretty flexible, if you have a fairly low car with the bump steer that goes with it, the weight in the steering shows up the column mountings flex. 309's of suffer a fair bit of scuttle shake with harder springs.

johno_78

i understand that comment to mean that there is some play in the steering, which i've found to be caused by the power steering. whether he meant that or not, only he knows it seems.

Sign in to follow this