• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anulfo

Toyo 888 Vs Yoko A048r Tyres

Anulfo

Could not find a topic similar to this in recent forums so here goes.

I compete in sprints and hillclimbs quite regularly and if any of you are familiar with the MSA Blue book regulations you may be aware of the list 1A and list 1B tyres.I am able to get away with list 1B tyres which means pretty much anything goes as long as its road legal.The tyre of choice at the tracks seems to be the yokohama A048R but was wondering if any of you have used these tyres and also the Toyo 888's and what your views are on them?Which is best?The Toyo's certainly are cheaper and are identical tread pattern to the A048R's!

Your opinions please?

hengti

it'll be interesting to see what sort of opinions you get :wacko:

i've not used either, but have used A038Rs (A048's predecessor) at sprints at found them to be worth about 3 seconds over the A539 road tyre i had been using. goes without saying really but (depending upon compound), they can be tricky in the first couple of corners due to their temperature

from what i've heard about 888s, i thought they went off quicker than the Yokos - but that's hardly a problem at sprints

Garry

I find the R888's take a while to warm up before they really start to work. I like them though and they are definately better than 'normal' tyres.

I think the general opinion is that the A048's are the superior tyre but they cost quite a bit more, I think I paid about £63 for my R888's but the Yokos are around £105, and with my 'spirited' driving style they don't last very long!

Edited by Garry

tri_longer

I can't comment on R888 but can atest to how good the A048's are. Excellent levels of grip. However, with two people sharing the car we have only managed to get 3 sprint/hillclimbs out of the fronts before we need a new pair.......that was on meduim compound so not sure how much you would get if you ran softs.

Somewhere like Ears Motorsport http://www.ears.co.uk/motorsport/acatalog/

there isn't a lot in the price if you look at a 195/50/15

niklas

The Yoko's are in a different league when it comes to grip and unfortunately price too..

I guess in racing context it's a matter of ambition levels!

EDIT: Sometimes it's better to drive a few more races and use cheaper cars/parts. In the end it may result in quicker laptimes anyway...!

Edited by niklas

Craigb

Can't comment on the 888's , but the Nova rally car i was in at the weekend ran the 048r's and i can't recommend them enough , the warmed up quickly , and hung on well in the corners with a very predicable breakaway .

The guys form our club were buying them from George Polley motorsports @ £68 each delivered , so maybe they are worth a call , as i was not sure what sizes they were using .

Alan_M

Has anybody tried these tyres with an Mi16?

Just interested in the surge thing!

rally ax
I can't comment on R888 but can atest to how good the A048's are. Excellent levels of grip. However, with two people sharing the car we have only managed to get 3 sprint/hillclimbs out of the fronts before we need a new pair.......that was on meduim compound so not sure how much you would get if you ran softs.

Somewhere like Ears Motorsport http://www.ears.co.uk/motorsport/acatalog/

there isn't a lot in the price if you look at a 195/50/15

thats serious tyre wear !? :lol: , the wife and me managed a whole year of double entered sprints/hillclimbs (8-10 days) and a track day on one set, swapping fronts and rears half way through the year- medium compound A048's (185/55/14).

Its a good tyre ,just get your tyre pressures right

Garry

VisaGTi16v

Yep same here, ~20 sprints and about 3000 miles driving to events and back out of my medium compound ones

proaxis2

I run the A048's on my Mi. However I brought the soft compound ones, won't be doing that again. :blink:

Yes they do grip well but after the first trackday with them at Rockingham the fronts were illegal, even though I had to drive home. :P

I then obviously limited the use to track only and not road use. With a bit of swapping front to rear, I managed to get half day at Bedford West and then a full day on them on Bedford GT, however now they are all now near on slicks. :lol:

Oil surge... I've never had the light on and I check the oil before every run, but on some of the corners I have seen the needle drop. I'm fitting a trap door sump and extra pressure dial to keep and eye, but going to try the cheaper R888's next.

Adam

pdd144c

048's are better, but not by the percentage increase in the price.

Anulfo

The visa16valve?I think i know this car and have seen it at a few events?

Did it do Abingdon this year?

Anulfo

DO LOVE THE CITROEN VISA REMEMBER SITTING IN ONE AT MOTOR SHOW IN MID 80S WANTING MY DAD TO GET ONE AND WHAT DID HE BUY??? AN AUSTIN MAESTRO!!!! NO FURTHER COMMMENT

VisaGTi16v

On topic. I was out doing a bit of testing as you do yesterday (rain makes it more interesting on roundabouts! heh) and my 48r's did work surprisingly well in the torrential rain, nice and predictable

Off topic. Ta. Its very rare now. Looks awful but nice and quick thanks to being 790kg and 168bhp :) It wasnt going well at Abingdon though due to shot tyres (rally slicks not the 48r's), still managed 2nd in class in mod prod though

Anulfo

Thanks for the feedback guys,much food for thought!!Both the Toyo's and the Yoko's have their plus points. Where do you get your tyres from?I'm hearing that E.A.R.S are quite good on price whilst Demon Tweeks seem quite pricey.I'm reckoning for the Yoko 195/50/15 to be £105 each???

proaxis2

You can get Toyo's for £75 per corner including P&P from fleabay.

Brand new of course from a place in Sittingbourne. Never used them so can't comment.

Just do a search for R888.

Adam

rally ax

Turriff tyres - £55.00 + vat each(£64.62) for 195/50/15's -Toyo888's and you'll get 4 tyres delivered for around £20,,maybe less . 01888 562 929

phatgti

I use the 14" R888 and i cannot sing its praises high enough for what they cost and the performance they give.

My alfa weighs 960kg with me in it (minimum weight for class) and even in torrential rain they coped very well.

It is easy to over work them but by looking after them I can maintain their grip level over a 20 minute sprint race.

VisaGTi16v

I think both tyres are good. There are some list 1b Kumho's though which are softer that my friend uses on his 300bhp Westfield Seight and he seems to like them. I forget their exact name.

I did an evening track session at Brands last night and it was torrential rain but my 48r's did well. Only issues were aquaplaning at the bottom of paddock in a puddle so I avoided the outer 1 car width of track then at Surtees. Turn in was ok then a river was running across again making the front aquaplane then the back which was interesting although not as much as when a 968 Turbo spun 3 car lenghts in front around paddock, could have been messy heh. There was a fast old Alfa 75 I think going round, I will do a thread in the track day section when I have my video off

phatgti

Was the Alfa a racecar or trackday toy?

VisaGTi16v

Not sure im afraid as due to the weather and shortish evening session I was either driving, briefly faffing with the car or looking up at the sky heh. He was a bit quicker round some of the corners but I was slightly quicker on the straights. He was all over me in my mirrors but once I let him past I managed to keep with him until he went into the pits. He didnt have his lights on though so when I was about 4 car lenghts behind down the straight I couldnt actually see him with the spray until he broke for paddock!

Starting to quite like these track days, sprints are too short and cant afford to race yet. Ok traffic can be a pain sometimes but when you see someone in front who is slightly slower its real fun catching them slowly and even more fun when you go past Skylines and new M6's etc :D

I did note my oil pressure dropping off a bit on Graham Hill even with my baffled sump. It did need a bit of oil but on full slicks in the dry I could have issues...its a 90k old engine thats done 30 sprints, 2 track days and 5k+ on the road so ive had my monies worth and my Xsara is about to be written off by the insurance company so theres always the option of a Visa VTS heh

Edited by VisaGTi16v

Anulfo

Mr visa do you have a slippy diff in that car?If so what,plate tran X or Quaife?(Yep off topic i know)

VisaGTi16v

Just put a quaife in it. Ive done one sprint with shot tyres so couldnt get an idea then I did that trackday. Looking at my data logging I was only 5mph slower when braking for paddock than when I did it in the dry and I was braking 100 metres earlier as well. So basically out of Clearways where I had terrible trouble in the dry with no quaife, it was almost as quick even in those conditions. It also helped out of Graham Hill bend. Druids was strangely ok with no quaife. Vids here to see conditions http://www.youtube.com/user/visagti16v I was running the 48'rs as well so you can get an idea for how they work in torrential conditions, were good except with running water which gave some aquaplaning but then most tyres would have trouble with that. Only 175/60/13's so not that much tread on the ground either! :unsure:

Edited by VisaGTi16v

Sign in to follow this