• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

Knackered Mi Lump

steve@cornwall

Finally got round to start work on th MI I bought to go in the CTI. Pulled the engine into a workspace in the garage and checked it was still free - locked up solid :D crank bolt was getting tighter so I decided to not put more force on it and possibly shear the bolt - Time to ask the forum for advice ;) I stripped the clutch off- no sign of movement when undoing the bolts, ditto with the flywheel and PAS pulley :(:(:(

Next to come off was the inlet manifold after having soaked the bolts in WD40 and buying some decent long allen sockets. With this removed the head will move noticeably on the block :huh: by pulling/pushing on the exh. manifold

I'm assuming that at the very least I'll require head gasket/skim, big end shells (crank grind?)) crank seals and sundry gaskets? - feel free to add to this list, and my growing depression :(

The alternative may be to strip and inspect, then sell off useable parts. May get enough to buy a good s/h 1.9 engine :(:(:(

welshpug

I cant believe you were expecting anything else from a 15 year old engine!!

A new gasket, head bolts, bottom end shells and rings should be the minimum, though if its seized then youll need a regring without a doubt.

Rebuild it and you know that you then have a reliable unit, it doesn't cost that much to do a set of shells and rings with gaskets and belts.

maturin23

It's a bonus situation - gives you an excuse to do a rebuild and have a nice refreshed engine :huh:

steve@cornwall

I'm the eternal optimist when buying anything cheap! I guess it's time to strip it and price the parts. An excuse to rebuild isn't needed, just the pennies ^_^ My own fault for leaving a drained engine in a garage for a year and not turning it over.

Still, I can paint it and make it pretty now

brianthemagical

get a gti6/ s16 with low miles, then it won't need rebuilding. or get a 1.9 as you say and hope it dosen't destroy itself when you need it the most.

lee-bg

I can tell you my story,

not long ago i bought pretty cheap mi16 engine + butchered loom + ECU, missing Idle Valve, missing power steering pump (the two parts i found later to be missing, but doesnt matter).

So upon opening the engine it was everything bad that you can imagine

focked bearings (crankshaft was in decent shape though), broken sump, the car was overheated regularly, driven without oil and probably the oil was changed once every 30,000 with some buls*it oil, head was in terrible condition, valves were terrible too, exhaust manifold was cracked on 5 spots, ignition parts were total dead, ignition leads were 1989 (amazing for that too) and i am surprised the car even run before i bought the engine,

but to my suprise pistons and rings was in very good shape and 'bottom block' was not broken.

again .. Amazing, isnt it. It appears they are very strong on mi16. (pistons, block, etc)

So i did refurbishment on crankshaft, new bearings, head was polished and ported, valves were lightened and everything was cleaned in perfect shape, new ignition module/distributor. Bought new gasket and every possible rubber part/seal ^_^)) everything put together and now i can say its a wonderful engine to drive. Pack that with a mi16 final drive and 1,9 8v gearbox and you got one very funky car that surprises many luxury cars owners.

it wasnt cheap, around 1000 GBP for parts and rising steady as now i started to fix the suspension and braking, but to me it was worth it

every $$.

Its your choice B) If you want to go down the 'ride', then go. If you cant afford it, dont go.

Edited by lee-bg

Ahl
I cant believe you were expecting anything else from a 15 year old engine!!

A new gasket, head bolts, bottom end shells and rings should be the minimum, though if its seized then youll need a regring without a doubt.

Rebuild it and you know that you then have a reliable unit, it doesn't cost that much to do a set of shells and rings with gaskets and belts.

What ARE you talking about?

15 year old since manufacture or sitting in a shed for 15 years?

My mi16 is 18 years old, had done 117k miles, is mechanically perfect, and could have went straight in my car and probably run without problems for another 100k.

I'm rebuilding mine for the sake of it, but there are many people on the forum who have just chucked them without any hassle. Most of the mi16 owners I'd reckon!

jackherer
there are many people on the forum who have just chucked them without any hassle. Most of the mi16 owners I'd reckon!

I've had my Mi16 engine for seven years and its only had a timing belt and waterpump. Its in car number three at the moment...

jas-E
My mi16 is 18 years old, had done 117k miles, is mechanically perfect, and could have went straight in my car and probably run without problems for another 100k.

guess, as is the case with most peugeots in my experience, if you keep them running and maintained, they will go for miles without any problems..but if you leave them standing they begin to go wrong!!

Im rebuilding my mi engine aswell - initial plan was to just change gaskets and seals, but thought id go the full distance and do as much as i can. Engine seemed like its had some bad abuse in its 80k mile life, but the bottom end seems fine. I'v gotten away with polishing the crank which im waiting for to start putting bits back together!

Edited by jas-E

steve@cornwall

A plan is forming.... I need to replace the shagged 1.6 in the cti. The MI is "sick" and I can't afford a rebuild....all at once....

I have wanted to do the MI conversion since buying my first gti years ago, so I'm not going to part with the engine as an alloy block 1.9 will probably be stupid money to source when I eventually have the cash.

Step 1 Replace the 1.6 with a less tired 1.6, I have some options in the garage there already :wacko:

Step 2 clear the garage and install a bench to rebuild the MI as and when I can actually afford parts and services.Even if it takes years, may as well do the engine right, eh?

Something to look forward to, I know I'd regret it if I got rid

Edited by steve@cornwall

Alastairh
15 year old since manufacture or sitting in a shed for 15 years?

Yup, my brothers S16 is on 180k, i did the belt water pump and tensioners and a clutch when i did the conversion, still drives fine and upsets Jap bread van owners daily :wacko:

Guest DAvie RG 16v

My MI lumpi have sitting complete from a 406 MIx4 has just over 90000 on it, took it out cause the shell was gubbed,and bottom end was starting to knock.

So took the lot out for a conversion into a 205 or a 306 which ever took my fancy really.

So split the engine and just gave the hole engine a freshen up

Costly part was the bottomend,got a regrind, shells, mains, thrust washers, set of rings and new oil seals,

plus bottom end comes with a years gaurantee or 10000 miles and the place built the block for me too all for 300 Quid,which i think was brill!!!

And stripped the head and reground all the valves.

So basicallygota really fresh engine their for next to nothing aswell!!!

Edited by DAvie RG 16v

Guest Nath

Thats gutting to hear :)

my Mi is going in soon, was a cheap ebay find and fingers crossed will give me some trouble free miles :)

keep the motor and strip/rebuild as time and funds allow, like you said you have the lump there it'd be a waste to bin it and start again.

Sign in to follow this