• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Doof

Capacitor On Tweeter Cable?

Doof

The wires to one of my front tweeters have snapped right next to what looks like an in line capacitor, it says 50v 3.3mF on it. Can i just connect it without this capacitor or will something screw up? Dont want one of the tweeters being really loud while the other is quiet or something daft.

If it only makes a difference when its really loud i'm not bothered because i never turn it up too much. anyone know what its for?

Richie-Van-GTi

the capacitor reduces the bas to the tweeter and limits the power to it. If you can reconnect it then do so, if not get a new one from maplins, shouldnt be more than a couple of quid.

Super Josh

As Richie says, you can buy another from Maplins. Make sure that you order (As I doubt that they'll have it in stock) a Non polarised Electrolytic Capicitor (the Non polarised is the important bit, as they will have Polarised ones in stock, which aren't suitable). Just make sure it is the same value of 3.3 uF as the one you take out.

HTH

Josh

Paintguy

You'll toast your tweeter without it, so follow the advice above :D

jim21070

Even better if you can get hold of a 3.3 MicroFarad mylar film capacitor (i.e. not an electrolytic). A possible source is from the crossover network in a scrap Hi-Fi speaker enclosure.

Non-polarised electrolytics are horrible devices both electronically and sonically and best avoided. Effectively they are two polarised electrolytics in reverse series. Putting two normal electrolytics in series won't work though!

The value is not critical. You should be able to get away with a 1 MicroFarad capacitor and these are very readily available from Maplins and the like.

Sign in to follow this