• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest robsterguysports

205 Gti 1.9

Guest robsterguysports

Hello again all of you 205 lovers ;-)

Thanks for adding me to the forum! I will have a great time here!

As said I will get my 205 GTI 1.9 8V model year 1990 soon (completely original). And I already have some Questions about the pug. Just so you know, I´m not the 205 GTI expert - YET :-D, but I´m a mechanic/electrician, so from the day I own it I want to know everything about it! :unsure:

There are just a few things I thought you guys might know of and could tell me more about just for right now. So here are my concerns:

1. Can I run the GTI 1.9 without the oilcooler? Is is a must, or will the engine take any damage if

i just bypass it? Because the guy who still ownes it said that he bypassed it because it is leaking.

I don´t know how long he has been driving like that now, but I hope it hasn´t ruined the engine yet...He

says the temp. gauges stay normal, but I really want to make shure i can drive without one in ALL conditions.

What would you guys say?

PS:If i where going to replace it with a new one, would it be some hard work? All I know is that the oilfilter sits right on top of it. Can i reach it good or will it be a major job?

2. Is it awkward to replace the timing belt? Anyone got a plan with pictures maybe?

3. Which level should the oil pressure gauge have, when the engine is cold, warm and @ full throttle?

4. Is the cylinder head gasket a part that often needs to be replaced? Is it a thing i should be worrying about when i get the car? How long can the gasket last (at "normal" driving conditions)?

5. Is the gearbox robust?

6. Is it common for the 1.9L engine to "sweat" a little? I mean minor oil leakage on parts like headgasket, oil sump, or the headgasket cover?

7. How often does the cooler fluid need to be changed?

I´m sorry if some of the questions sound a little bit stupid, but I´m just trying to gather some experience with the pug!

It would be nice if you could help me out with my concerns. :unsure:

Greets,

Rob

Edited by robsterguysports

chris1986

i'm not running a cooler on my 1.9 and its fine. even on track days never had a problem.

timing belts couldn't be easier really, only awkward thing is engine mount. would say around 2hours do the water pump too. then you will be changing the coolant anyway.

don't 100% know the oil pressure but mine cold is almost max then hot it sinks a little about 3/4 at idle

i don't think the gear boxes are too bad for a peugeot. i havn't yet had a problem with mine and it gets abuse all the time

also head gaskets can go any time really, i would leave it till it goes

hope that has helped you a little

Edited by chris1986

Rob_the_Sparky

1) Just take it off, TBH it doesn't do that much anyway if it the earlier oil/air cooler and over cools in cold weather.

2) Yes but not that hard. Just read Haynes.

3) Can be quite low at idle once warm (1st bar!) but otherwise halfway or above in general

4) No, but they will blow them quite quickly if over heated and/or ran without anti-freeze for any length of time.

5) Very

6) Shouldn't really but you are looking at an old car and old engines are rarely clean.

7) No idea, never had a need to do it for age (usually the radiator fan switch failing will change most of it for you!!!)

Rob

ashlee205gti
4) No, but they will blow them quite quickly if over heated and/or ran without anti-freeze for any length of time.

The cylinder heads corrode quite badly around the waterways i have found. So good coolant mixture is a definate must.

Edited by ashlee205gti

Guest robsterguysports

Hello!

Thank you very much for the prompt answers! You helped me a lot!

Greets,

Rob

Super Josh

The Gearbox is robust, BUT, the differentials tend to disintegrate with high mileage.

Josh

Edited by Super Josh

Sign in to follow this