• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BigDave

Battery Relocting To The Back ?

Guest BigDave

I am thinking of relocating my battery into the back bbot space to allow more room for a bigger air filter cone in the new space.

Has anyone done this before and do you reckon it would be an advantage on the brether front??

Comon sense says that with a bigger filter more air can get in easier and with more space it should allow a better flow of colder air if I add ducting from below or possibly remove a headlight.

So whats your thoughts folks???

CheeRS

Dave...

Doof

I dont think its really worth much in the way of power. Maybe if you were going for the full on stripped out nicely balanced race car but not for the road.

Guest BigDave

Doof, I am using the car purly for track use and have just spent the last two days stripping every bit of the interior out in preperation for the 6 point cage and kevlar buckets mate.

It sjust that looking at the feeble filter on the induction kit makes me wonder if its upto the job. I am used to great big DCOE filters you see?

What are your thoughts on a bigger filter then?

Guest Bigj

Putting your battery in the back can only help the weight distribution

But you will need to put it in a sealed battery box so that if you had an accident no acid leaks out.

I'm planning to do this on mine to help with balance and increase underbonnet space.

Just need to get a round tuit

John

cybernck

that's how i done it in my mi16, just placed it a bit closer to the rear axle.

now i have to do it in my gti and T16 as well, it's that good :).

sleeper205

exactly what kind of cable do you need to run the battery in the boot?

cheers,

Jon

:)

Doof

I tried some motor factors who were charging like 10-15 quid per meter which was insane, ended up going to lucas i think who did me 3 metres of black and 3m of red for 8 quid!!!! Works a treat as well.

Its just really thick ignition cable, a few places should have it.

Guest Bigj

I got a 20m roll from my local factors for about £20

Its come in really useful

You could always go to a breakers and retreive a length from a mini, I've done that before too

John

Guest BigDave

Neat job that mate, and a bloody good idea!!

I will have to get mine moved now then.

Battery boxes can be made cheap as chips by using an abs plastic tool box type thing for a fiver!!

For wires and stuff look here...

www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk

taffycrook

Dont forget to use thicker wire than original due to the greater lengths used.

I have used truck jump start leads, these are well tough and thick as popeyes arms.

Guest sillypugger

so where'd you get these then taffycrook?

205turbo

i bought a box at the national for £40 nice bit of kit but probley could of got it cheaper mail order.

PHyR

Cool, I need to move my battery to the boot to make way for my charge cooler, what amp wire should I use? On www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk they do 105, 170, 300, also I assume when you do this is earth the battery directly the shell in the boot?

Anyone know a good place to get a box like the one in the pic or is it cheapest to make one?

Cheers

fiji bob

thicker the better within reason and yes it needs to be earthed to a decent earthing point

Sign in to follow this