• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
oilman

Are 5w And 0w Oils Too Thin?

Rippthrough
Just reading this and I thought I'd point out that my last oil change was to 5w40 fully synthetic as thats all the garage I went to had. That was a about 2 months ago and the car has had a pretty bad oil leak since (Didn't leak before)

Could this be down to the engine not holding the thinner oil? or possibly an ill fitted oil filter?

The problems gone from a niggle to a major leak in the last weak, nearly ran the oil dry to the point I could see the oil pressure drop when pulling away from t junctions :blink:

Checking the oil every day now and topping it up until I can get it booked into a garage to get the leak fixed ;)

Can't have read it very well then, it's not thinner!

Furiousd
Can't have read it very well then, it's not thinner!

Quite! Although I understood it was thinner at cold? Doesn't excuse why I though it would contribute to a leak when the car is up to temperature :lol:

Rippthrough
Quite! Although I understood it was thinner at cold? Doesn't excuse why I though it would contribute to a leak when the car is up to temperature :)

Yeah, but its still far thicker when cold than it will be when its hot.

Sign in to follow this