• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
zowow

See If You Can Spot The Problem....

zowow

Read haynes, made no sense, is this more or less the right order, cause when i tighten the end bolt up, the cable goes at a funny angle :s and the clutch stays slack...

11062007066.jpg

Mikey G

BE1?

Is the little rod missing between the clutch arm and lever? could explan why its still slack.

zowow

has someone got a pic of what i am missing? bit confused as yet again i didn't take it off, all my mates came over to 'help' and didn't keep anything organised! its a new cable...

Mikey G

If it is a BE1 then it will have a little rod about an inch long that sits inside the cup between the clutch arm and crank lever. All it is a simple little rod about 8mm in diameter and about an inch long as i remember. You could probably make one out of an old bolt.

zowow

hmm, which is the clutch arm and which is the crank lever lol

still confused as to where it goes/where it would attach :)

Richie-Van-GTi

The part where the end of the cable sits in is an L shape piece. The other part of the L where the cable isnt should be sat parallel to another flat bar protruding from the gearbox. Between these 2 pieces should be a small bar about inch to ich and half long. Its just balanced in place. If its missing then when you press the clutch the L piece will just turn without actually pressing the clutch.After doing so though the clutch pedal wont return upwards as the L piece isnt sprung. If its springing back up then the bar must be there and I would suspect either it needs a lot of tightening up on the cable (make sure the full thing isnt spinning when turning the nut) or possibly one of the arms is bent/cracked either side of the short bar.

Rob Thomson

Looks like a BE3 box to me.

The obvious problem is that the bit of black plastic to the right of the clutch lever (ie, next to the washer and the adjusting nuts) should be on the other way round, so that it fits inside the clutch arm.

OOtherwise it looks ok.

Alastairh

That cable looks special, where did you get it from?

Never seen one that has the rubber springy bit thats hiding the threads.

Whats that rubber thing sitting inbetween the stiff plastic with the out dent on the right, and the big metal washer? I don't normally have that on the ones i've fitted :)

Might be easier to whip the cable off and post a pic to see what bits you've got with the cable?

Edit: yeah have you got the black bit the right way round like Rob said?

Alastair

Edited by Alastairh

zowow
That cable looks special, where did you get it from?

Never seen one that has the rubber springy bit thats hiding the threads.

Whats that rubber thing sitting inbetween the stiff plastic with the out dent on the right, and the big metal washer? I don't normally have that on the ones i've fitted :D

Might be easier to whip the cable off and post a pic to see what bits you've got with the cable?

Edit: yeah have you got the black bit the right way round like Rob said?

Alastair

sent my dad to get it and he asked for a BE1 clutch cable.... pretty sure it was a proper peugeot one, either that or camberly auto factors, but it was expensive (£14). these bits you are talking about, should they have come with the cable or on the gearbox. I don't suppose anyone could take a picture of one for me as i really have no clue what they look like or how it should be assembled, doesnt really say in haynes. I kinda get what you are saying but i'm still mighty confused.. changed them before on my sierras and looks nothing like the same lol

such a blooming pain to be the thing thats stopping me driving it arrrrrrrrrrgh!!! :(:(

Edited by zowow

Mikey G

It definatly looks BE1 to me. Do you have the collar lift reverse thats next to 1st gear?

I have seen it a few times, where the little rod is misplaced and the crank arm cant come round far enough to push the clutch lever. this makes the cable look at an awkward angle.

Rob Thomson
Looks like a BE3 box to me.

Now that I've had a couple of cups of coffee it looks like a BE1!

But that bit of plastic is definitely the wrong way round.

Alastairh

Yeah, or either way you've got the old one and the new one in there.

Undo the 13+10mm and check you have one black plastic thing with an ountdent, that should sit snug into the C shaped lever.

zowow
It definatly looks BE1 to me. Do you have the collar lift reverse thats next to 1st gear?

I have seen it a few times, where the little rod is misplaced and the crank arm cant come round far enough to push the clutch lever. this makes the cable look at an awkward angle.

yep, its the original BE1 box from a 1986 phase 1 gti with the lift up reverse...

bit miffed theres no guides on how to do this anywhere, right pain in the bum :( I guess i'll have another look when i get in from work and try to figure it out.. anyone got a pic of the pin bit? as i may have it in my tub of bits?

yep, its the original BE1 box from a 1986 phase 1 gti with the lift up reverse...

bit miffed theres no guides on how to do this anywhere, right pain in the bum :D I guess i'll have another look when i get in from work and try to figure it out.. anyone got a pic of the pin bit? as i may have it in my tub of bits?

zowow

http://www.stuartmcguire.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/2/21H20A.HTM

is item 2 the link pin yeah? doesn't give any indication on how it connects the two arms?

Ah, no can't be cause you said the link bar balances between the arm end and the bit that sticks outta the gbox?

Edited by zowow

Mikey G
you said the link bar balances between the arm end and the bit that sticks outta the gbox?

Yes, cant see it on there but the picture isnt very good.

Miles

Sticking out of the front of the box is the arm that the clutch release bearing attaches to (This must be on right too as they can fall off when re-fitting) and the 'L' which the clutch cable attaches to onthe other part of the'L' you will see a little dent to hold a pin, anything can do in here just make sure it's about a 1" long.

zowow

cheers guys, that helps a lot :(

should be able to do it now

Sign in to follow this