• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rocky

205mi16 Cat And Mot

rocky

Hi Guys,

My 205 mi16 is a 1992 car first registered in september 1992 (a month after haveing to have a mandatory cat) but the engine in the car is a BX16v from an unknown year.

My question is do i need to have a cat for my MOT? will it affect emissions too much?

I just dont want fuss from the MOT testers saying i need a cat when i dont.

pug_ham

You don't need a cat but you need to be able to provide definate proof that the engine is from a pre-cat car.

www.mot-uk.co.uk
  • If an engine has been modified in any way, it still has to meet the exhaust emission requirements according to the age of the vehicle. The vehicle will be tested according to its age from first use-The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then test to the next lower emission standard.

Graham.

Ryan

In the case of engine swaps the car is tested according to whichever is oldest - the car itself or the engine. If you have a pre-cat engine in a cat car then it only needs to meet the pre-cat emissions levels. As Graham says though, it's up to you to prove the age of the engine. Some MOT testers may accept it if you point out the casting marks on the head or block - a 10mm raised circle with two digits for the year in the middle. I forget where they are though now.

Another posibility is that it's the date of manufacture, not registration that matters. If your car was registered in Septemper 92 then it's likely that it was made some weeks before. Peugeot should be able to tell you if you give them a chassis number.

Sandy

Point out the BX 16v D6C engine in their Autodata book.

skeggyrik

205 never was never produced in this country with that engine so it gets a no cat test automatically.

Knew this from my MR2 Turbo owning days. As that car was never sold here with that engine even thought it was elsewhere, it got the no cat test even though it was 1993 car. So we there were never any Cat issues at MOT time which was handy. Ipresume the same appies here. We all used to print a pdf of the MOT testers handbook notes or similar and take it with at MOT time.

I think there is an age limit (not applicable to 205's as the last gtis were 1994) which I thinkfrom memeory os is 1998 or something, after which all cars must pass a Cat test?? I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks here.

If so that would work out well for GTi-6 engined 205's too.

R

sherly

My 205 was registered in Dec '92 and has passed the last 4 MOTs without a CAT (otherwise standard 8v motronic). I think the absolute cut off date for definately needing a cat is Aug '93.

So no worries for you on both car and engine........

Edited by sherly

Sign in to follow this