• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

Afm Adjusting

jim21070

Hi Damir,

Yes, this will work as the article states and it is how I set up my AFM. But as the article states, it only works for idle and light-load running. That does not bother me as that is what mine mostly does as I run it as a cosseted classic car!

I adjust mine for the sweetest idle and refine it until there is little change in idle with the lights on (high electrical load).

I adjust the timing the same way and I have an engine that runs very well indeed. I would not recommend it for an engine that will get really heavy use. A Rolling Road is the only sure way.

Adjusting the AFM and timing like this is only valid when you know every other aspect of the engine is in good condition. Don't try this to cure or mask an underlying problem. It is strictly a fine-tune only.

• Like 1

DamirGTI

Hi !

Ok. thanks ! :) but how do they adjust AFM on rolling road ? me never been on rolling road set-up ..

Which tools are they using for AFM adjusting on entire rev range ?

Damir ;)

simonb

They change the tension of the spring inside the afm. This either make the flap stiffer or looser. You need to remove the black cover from the top of the afm to get to it and I would ALWAYS mark the staring position before you play about.

Beware though as this will have an effect on fueling right through the rev range and also fuel consumption. I would only do it if you know that there is a problem as AFAIK the springs inside the AFM can stretch over the years leading to slight overfueling. Rollers are the only way to set these things up really and there are many articles on the web about the adjustment operation.

HTH

DamirGTI

Hi !

Yes i know about that spring tension adjusting but they must have some special tool for this AFM set-up job , how can they know when the spring tension is in the right position for good mixture on entire rev range ? with wideband sensor and exhaust gas analyser ? or something else ..

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

simonb

exhaust gas analyser and probably a multi-meter. I would just use the analyser and check the colour of the plugs after a run. These will tell you instantly if its running rich or lean.

gti-si

Where's the best place to go to have it checked out on a Rolling road? It's not a priority right now as there are other thing's that I wish to sort out first.

I'm pretty sure it's overfuelling slightly. I know the vac advance has gone, bought a new one from pug today to sort that, and i'll get a new ecu temp sensor to be sure. So that could well sort it out

If not, there's a place in Bolton called the Fuel Injection Centre, they've got a rolling road, anyone any experience? It's either there or take it down to Skip Brown's at the end of summer. What would anyone recommend, and how much am I looking at for Skip Browns to tune her up?

Sign in to follow this