• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RossD

New Catcam... New Followers?

RossD

Quick question really, I'm almost ready to start building my engine now and have most of the parts including the cam and vernier.

Most people say when you change the cam you should also renew the followers. How many of you guys with aftermarket cams in your TU engines have done this, if you haven't have you run into problems?

If it is needed, can you reface the old followers!? Just seen the price for new TU rocker arms from a dealer and I almost fell over. (£32.89... and I think thats EACH!)

Cheers

Ross

TEKNOPUG

You should always replace your followers if you fit a new camshaft. In fact, you should also replace your camshaft if you fit new followers!

This is because the majority of wear takes place in the first few minutes of the engine running with new cam/followers.

If rebuilding the head, you should always make sure that you refit the followers in the same order.

RossD
You should always replace your followers if you fit a new camshaft. In fact, you should also replace your camshaft if you fit new followers!

This is because the majority of wear takes place in the first few minutes of the engine running with new cam/followers.

If rebuilding the head, you should always make sure that you refit the followers in the same order.

Yep, I realise that (should have worded question differently) but as far as I can see the TU guys dont seem to replace the rockers/followers??

Sandy, is this something you do when you build TU 8v's?

RossD
Yep, I realise that (should have worded question differently) but as far as I can see the TU guys dont seem to replace the rockers/followers??

Sandy, is this something you do when you build TU 8v's?

Also, on the TU 8v, the rockers/followers are aluminium, does this have any effect, as the metal is quite soft...

christopher

If you buy a can kit from kent or piper you get standard followers with it.

When you have your shiny new expensive camshaft it is up to you whether to change the followers or not. But your perfectly grinded lobes will quickly gain the opposite profile of your followers. I suppose it depends how worn your followers are and if you mind an uneven wear on your cam lobes.

Edited by christopher

RossD
If you buy a can kit from kent or piper you get standard followers with it.

When you have your shiny new expensive camshaft it is up to you whether to change the followers or not. But your perfectly grinded lobes will quickly gain the opposite profile of your followers. I suppose it depends how worn your followers are and if you mind an uneven wear on your cam lobes.

At main stealer prices, my CatCam cam is cheaper than a set of new followers! The dealer wants £262 for a set of TU rockers. Anybody know where to get them cheaper, £32 each is a rediculous price for a small bit of cast aluminium.

Christopher, are you running a Catcam in your Rallye? Where did you get your new followers from!?

Cheers

Ross

christopher

Ross,

I didn't change mine. That's why I suggest you do. Its false economy not to and I know what I will be doing next time. But if you are not worried about keeping the engine for a while then it will of course work fine with the old followers.

You can try piper. They have a list price for a set of 1360 followers for £152. I think kent do too. They get them from peugeot anyway I think..

christopher

Catcams should really be selling a cam as a kit with new followers like kent and piper.

Edited by christopher

RossD
Ross,

I didn't change mine. That's why I suggest you do. Its false economy not to and I know what I will be doing next time. But if you are not worried about keeping the engine for a while then it will of course work fine with the old followers.

You can try piper. They have a list price for a set of 1360 followers for £152. I think kent do too. They get them from peugeot anyway I think..

Ah yes, so they do.

I see they list the same kit for the Saxo VTR (FOLP13) for £137!! Well thats certainly better than £262 from Pug. http://www.pipercams.co.uk/NewPiperWeb/red...citroen_cam.pdf

Sandy

I've just replied to this on 106RR!

You should of course replace them, especially if you want to protect the warranty on the cam. but I've never used new ones on the TU 8v, always recycled and haven't had a problem yet, even on regularly used road cars (fingers tightly crossed).

RossD
I've just replied to this on 106RR!

You should of course replace them, especially if you want to protect the warranty on the cam. but I've never used new ones on the TU 8v, always recycled and haven't had a problem yet, even on regularly used road cars (fingers tightly crossed).

Mines going to be a low mileage track/weekend fun car.... I might risk it. I will heed all warnings given to the contrary, I will have nobody but myself to blame if it all goes wrong :)

Rippthrough
Mines going to be a low mileage track/weekend fun car.... I might risk it. I will heed all warnings given to the contrary, I will have nobody but myself to blame if it all goes wrong :(

I'm re-using old ones, never seem to matter so much on rocker armed engines, and mine have no measurable wear on them.

RossD
I'm re-using old ones, never seem to matter so much on rocker armed engines, and mine have no measurable wear on them.

Thats kinda what I thought after looking at mine last night. had a straight edge over them, all fine, all smooth too.

Sign in to follow this