• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

Alternator Switching Device

DamirGTI

Hi !

Anyone try this magical stuff :) :

http://www.bestservis.com/digerurunler/alt...erpower_eng.htm

Me thinks that this is one more stupid "plug and play" product like all other strange things on e-bay - magic chips filters etc.

When the battery voltage drops engine menagement EFI will be affected (in injection equipped car) like injector spraying control , or not ? I don't understand if this is a good thing why don't they use this in race-rally competition cars ?!

Thanks

Damir

Rob_the_Sparky

This will release some power otherwise used to run the alternator.

1hp = ~750W so I'd be surprised if it releases anything like what it claims to though. 6hp = 4.5kW, or ~320Amps - I've never seen an alternator put out anything close to this much power so you are very unlikely to save that much even in the "best case".

ECU should compensate for the lower voltage but not sure the alternator life time will be improved with this thing switching in and out...

Not something I'd use...

Rob

Gentrix

I recently heard from a guy, who made bigger pulleys for alternators, so that they run slower and need less crankforce. He argued, that this will give some miles per gallon and the recharge of the Batterie won´t be affected if you are not driving in traffic all the time.

Nice idea, but he asked for silly money - like 300 :)

Dj_mini

Gmc sell a simlar thing dont they?

jonnie205

they do work well these, alternators are a lot of drag whee they are loaded up

pugrallye

OOOOh these have made a reoccurrance, yes the theory works as back emf is quite large at high rpm and consumer load. So dumping alternator at high rpm can only be a good thing

Could be amusing at night though, as soon as you floor it your headlamps momentarily dim!

Pugnut

70a(standard 1.9gti alternator at 14v = 980w . for arguments sake call it 1kw = 1.34HP

Rob Thomson

Yep, but the alternator's probably only 50% efficient at best, so you're really looking at ~3HP. Which is worth saving.

DamirGTI

:D You are joking right ?! so it's not a crap after all :P

But 6hp for switching of the alternator :( - strange -_- ..

Damir :ph34r:

niklas

It's easy to test really, just remove the alternator belt and take a run. If you can feel the difference in performance then...

DamirGTI

But what about battery charging ? for how much driving can battery hold voltage without alternator charging ? i don't want to stop i the middle of the road because of this test :P

niklas
But what about battery charging ? for how much driving can battery hold voltage without alternator charging ? i don't want to stop i the middle of the road because of this test :P

I'm sure you can get at least half an hour of driving on a fresh battery!

DamirGTI

ok :P

Damir

Pugnut

fit a voltmeter across the battery and don't let it go past 12.5v ish. but to be honest your 3hp saving will only be when the alternator is outputting full load which means you'll need to have lights,heater,demister,wipers running.

this throws up a couple of questions,

1, the road conditions are too treacherous to reap the benefits of another 3bhp

2, you're battery isn't going to last long throwing out 70 amps.

on a dry bright day with a battery in good condition i cant see the alternator outputting more than 20a (guessing - fuel pump,injectors,coil etc)

so x2 = 40a (efficiency) x14v = 560w which is 0.75 hp

anyone agree?

pugrallye

The doofangly black box only works on full throttle, therefore you have to have your demisters on etc whilst burying your pedal, which really isnt going to happen, as i remember of them last time they were about, they used to make a loud clunk as they switched in and out..in case you where one of those people who hate noises.

and for those people using P=IV formula then converting it to horsepower, its not that straightforward if i remember (a long time ago doing calculations regarding back electromotive force (the more current generated the harder something is to turn) , it has its own unique equations)

Edited by pugrallye

Rob_the_Sparky
fit a voltmeter across the battery and don't let it go past 12.5v ish. but to be honest your 3hp saving will only be when the alternator is outputting full load which means you'll need to have lights,heater,demister,wipers running.

this throws up a couple of questions,

1, the road conditions are too treacherous to reap the benefits of another 3bhp

2, you're battery isn't going to last long throwing out 70 amps.

on a dry bright day with a battery in good condition i cant see the alternator outputting more than 20a (guessing - fuel pump,injectors,coil etc)

so x2 = 40a (efficiency) x14v = 560w which is 0.75 hp

anyone agree?

Sounds reasonable.

calvinhorse

that box sure looks heavy to me :)

Rob Thomson
But what about battery charging ? for how much driving can battery hold voltage without alternator charging ? i don't want to stop i the middle of the road because of this test :)

I've currently got a wiring problem that means the 205's standard alternator activation and warning circuit is buggered. So until I can be arsed to fix it I've got a bypass wire that goes from the battery to the alternator by way of a light-bulb as a current regulator. Anyway, I have to connect/disconnect this wire when I start/stop the engine.

But often I can't be arsed, and the battery is more than capable of getting me home from work (50 miles) without any noticeable effect to starting the engine the next time or anything else. The EFi doesn't use a huge amount of power, perhaps 10A including the fuel pump (which is the big draw). So unless you're using the fan, heated window or headlights you've probably got a good couple of hours without an alternator, leaving 50% capacity in your 40A/hr battery.

Anyway, if you want to test the difference, just disconnect the spade connector from the side of the alternator, since that's what the black box thing essentially does. You probably won't notice anything, but if you're on track I suppose you might gain a tenth or two a lap.

Dream Weaver
I'm sure you can get at least half an hour of driving on a fresh battery!

More than that even :)

When I bought mine, the alt had gone so I had to drive from London to home on a charged up battery - approx 300 miles and 4 hours driving.

niklas
More than that even :D

When I bought mine, the alt had gone so I had to drive from London to home on a charged up battery - approx 300 miles and 4 hours driving.

I didn't want to say something that I, without actually testing, don't think is 100% safe. Imagine if someone tries what I say and the engine cuts out in the middle of nowhere... :(

Sign in to follow this