• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti-si

Kangerooing Problems

GLPoomobile
Gay day though, the gearbox is definatly dropping oil :/ and coolant is leaking from tthe hose connecting to the radiator. Steve replaced the jubilee clips with cheap ones which were advised I change, hopefully thats why and not that the pipes deteriorated.

Bahhh

Where's the gearbox leaking from? I know I had a leak from one of the driveshaft seals once because the bolts in the lower mount that hold the intermediate bearing in place had come loose, allowing the shaft to pull out of the diff slightly. So if it's leaking from there, check the bolts in the lower mount.

That coolant leak is a right PITA :ph34r: The pipe didn't look damaged/perished IIRC, just refused to seal when I replaced the radiator. Although, there is a drain plug right above it that may be worth checking, as it may not be tight enough and may be the source of the leak rather than the hose. I couldn't get it any tighter due to limited space (would really need to take off the alternator to get enough room for leverage).

I've probably got a spare hose, plus I'll be replacing my Mi hoses with silicone jobbies soon so PM me if you want to try swapping it. I've also got a couple of spare ECU temp sensors too.

James_m
So make the gap smaller? How am I going to go about this? :ph34r:

Yeah, bit fiddly, but take off the drivers side engine mount, engine probably wont go anywhere, but you may want to rest the engine on a trolley jack underneath.

unbolt the 2 buffers either side of said ^ engine mount and put some washers between the buffers and the bit of the shell it bolts to.

Bit of trial and error to how many washers you need, and reassemble!

Will probably improve your gearchange a bit as an added bonus!

gti-si
Where's the gearbox leaking from? I know I had a leak from one of the driveshaft seals once because the bolts in the lower mount that hold the intermediate bearing in place had come loose, allowing the shaft to pull out of the diff slightly. So if it's leaking from there, check the bolts in the lower mount.

Well it seems to be coming from the drivers side d/shaft oil seal so that could well be the problem. It doesn't smell like cat p*ss though :ph34r: It looks quite like engine oil, bucan't see it coming from anywhere else. I'll put it up on axel stands tomorrow. Need a trolley jack though, add that to the long list of other tools I need :).

That may well be a good point about the drain plug, its only really dripping when im squeezing the hose (up near the battery). I'll drop the coolant and check the plug and the hose.

Yeah, bit fiddly, but take off the drivers side engine mount, engine probably wont go anywhere, but you may want to rest the engine on a trolley jack underneath.

unbolt the 2 buffers either side of said ^ engine mount and put some washers between the buffers and the bit of the shell it bolts to.

Bit of trial and error to how many washers you need, and reassemble!

Will probably improve your gearchange a bit as an added bonus!

Thanks for that. The buffer nearest the windsreens already touch and there's about a 6mm gap between the mountand the other buffer. I'll put these together.

pug_ham
the diaphram breaks, to test, mark the dizzy position, take it off by undoing the two bolts, pull the hose off the vac advance and suck on the nozzle connected to the dizzy, if its like sucking through a straw, the diaphram has broken, if there is resistance and you can't, its ok.
You can test the vac advance capsule without taking the dizzy off!!

Just remove the pipe from the underside of the throttle body & suck on that end or from the capsule on the dizzy & fit a spare piece to suck on washer hoe works for this).

If you have some resistance its working but if you get a taste of oily air then its failed.

Graham.

pugrallye

Kangerooing is normally caused by a mixture imbalance (205 ECU from factory used an over run cut off for injectors, which was a tad too sensitive as cars got older ... the reason for everyones part throttle kangerooing, most chipped/ delimited ECU's have this option coded out, hence it disappears)

I would check for manifold & air leaks, check throttle switch is operating correctly, and set mixture and timing correctly before ripping too much apart

gti-si

Hmmm, I wonder weather to buy kyepan's ecu or not then. Does it reduce economy? Well as said I think it's running rich so the mixture could need adjusting or the ECU temp sender is failing. The ignition is possibly to advanced, then again, I havn't heard it pinking so it can't be

pugrallye

Removing injector over run cut off will slightly decrease your economy, but no more than hopping down the road!

Would get timing and mixture spot on first, always first step in diagnosis

GLPoomobile
Removing injector over run cut off will slightly decrease your economy, but no more than hopping down the road!

Would get timing and mixture spot on first, always first step in diagnosis

Yeah, I don't think using one of these ECUs is a good idea as I don't believe it is the source of the problem. You just really need to focus on eliminating suspects (or do as I did and get used to the problem :) ). Start with the intake air leak idea, check the dizzy vac advance, get mixture checked et etc.

I had one of those Pug Performance de-limited ECUs on my first GTI (1.6) which is basically a standard ECU with a cut diode. Now I'm not saying it was the ECU at fault as it wasnt the best engine ever and may even have had a faulty ECU Temp Sensor too (I didn't know anything about them at the time!). But that car always got about 18mpg :D Was pretty quick at the top end with the Magnex 4 branch though :P

gti-si

Yeah, im so easily distracted *oooh delimited* etc.

I had a look (well, more of a suck, actually) at the vac advance today and that's shot, so what's next with that? Should I repair the diaphram or do I get a new one?

I'm gonna go down to my trusty garage tomorrow and get it gas analysed to check the mixture and get that adjusted accordingly.

Then a case of checking for intake air leaks.

I check the gearbox over properly and it's defiantly the O/S driveshaft oil seal. The radiator hose has a split in it too :(. Any idea where I can get a new one?

brianthemagical

i think you need to get a new vac advance, try a local lucas/bosch dealer. the vac advance will probably be causing the air leak and it will have a retarded ingnition at high vacumes, possibly the incorrect timing that has been talked about.

i don't mean this in a nasty way but are you sure it's not your driving? get it set up first as thats probs it but when and first got my car and now i'm driving it after a 3 month rebuild there was a lot of kangarooing. i think i managed to adjust my driving aqccordingly (or it may have been set up propers as the first few weeks were spent being fettled by proper mechanics, i.e. not me).

gti-si
i don't mean this in a nasty way but are you sure it's not your driving? get it set up first as thats probs it but when and first got my car and now i'm driving it after a 3 month rebuild there was a lot of kangarooing. i think i managed to adjust my driving aqccordingly (or it may have been set up propers as the first few weeks were spent being fettled by proper mechanics, i.e. not me).

Well it would be pretty coincidentle that me and Steve (GLPoomobile who I just bought it from) drive in the same manor. It's not a huge problem and like he says, I should probably shut up and get used to it :(. What I am learning from all these questions and answers is where to go with it, and as of yet I havn't done enough to find what it is. I have started moving now though and starting to isolate the problem.

Kangerooing can usually be avoided by being much gentler with the throttle but this kangerooing is usually at set part throttle i.e doing 30mph in 5th at 1500rpm. It is avoidable by keeping in a lower gear and dropping thc litch earlier etc, just makes traffic abit of hassle. Above all else, I just want her running as sweet as she can!

I'll get myself a new vac advance aswell then

Thanks for all the various replies anyway guys, hopefully should get it sorted with the replies i've had, can't see it being anything other than what's been posted

Sign in to follow this