• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

1.6 8v Max Bhp?

DaveK

Just out of interest, whats the max power thats possible from a 1.6 8v? Thinking along the lines of T/B's cams headwork etc but keepin the capacity the same. (160bhp maybe?)

Giving this abit of though incase i cant afford to run a complete season of rally and maybe just 3 or 4 events a year

Keeping the 1.9 would obviously put me in a higher class so would have no chance of winning

Cheers, Dave

zowow

would be an interesting project :)

SimonJ

How long is a bit of string but:

Race: high 160s

Rally: high 150s

Rally (reliable): high 140s

Anthony

Given that with enough budget you can get 220hp odd from a 1.9 8v engine, I'd imagine that you should be able to get 180-190hp from a 1.6 8v.

I know of a circuit racer 1.6 8v that's still running a standard inlet that's around 155hp - I'm not sure on the spec of the bottom end, but I know it's got a full Longman head and a pretty crazy cam in it.

d7ve_b

I'd be interested in knowing how you get on with this if you decide to go ahead with it. I'd like to do something similar with my 1.6.

pdd144c

I've seen them around 180ish.

benlilly

Guy Croft got somewhere around 170bhp for a rally engine he did but it was big ££££. Just looked for thread on his site but no joy. I have the flow data for the head at work, will try and remember to post it tomorrow.

pug_ham

Depends on how deep your bank account is & how long its going to be run between rebuilds.

Graham.

DamirGTI
Guy Croft got somewhere around 170bhp for a rally engine he did but it was big ££££. Just looked for thread on his site but no joy. I have the flow data for the head at work, will try and remember to post it tomorrow.

Yes Guy made around 170 bhp from 1.6 head but togheader with TB , still it's a very good result :) :

http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=45

cheers

Damir

brianthemagical

put a turbo on it. or two. and nitro.

TEKNOPUG

about 12

Anulfo
about 12

From a 1.6 you would probably be looking at 160-170bhp whilst still remaining at a semi sensible budget but if money is no object then forged pistons,forged conrods,severe headwork!!!!You could go on and on till you are about £6-8grand lighter!!!

dirtdog

i dont have a 1.6 but..thinking about it..they like what...115 standard yea? newer spec. obviously exhaust..filter and cams..wheres that take it? 125/30 prehaps? i'm more concerned about acceleration than top speed cause u can use it legally. so i guess a lighter and slightly more tuned car..would be a better option? i'd be very happy with 140bhp in my shoebox

Sign in to follow this