• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ade

205 Mi16 Idle Problems

Ade

Slightly irritating problem with my Mi engined 205.

I've tried a search on here but am finding it difficult to filter information relevent to the problem I'm having.

Generally it idles fine at around the 1000rpm mark. It always start perfectly.

Now occasionally it decides to idle around the 1500rpm mark. Then other times when approaching a junction it just stalls when dipping the clutch.

It always starts after stalling it's just a bit annoying/embaressing! :D

It doesn't seem to matter if it's only just been started or if you've been driving for some time.... seems completely random.

It's an alloy blocked 1.9. Not sure exactly on the type although was told it has the Mi ecu.

Can anyone think of anything I should check as a first port of call? I would greatly appreciate any help and the more detail the better as I'm a complete novice with these engines!?

Thanks in advance

Ade

jackherer

It could be caused by wear in the throttle body, I see that fairly often on Mi16s.

Ade

I don't suppose you could explain where to check for this? What part usually wears? I'm guessing the butterfly pivot thing? (thats a technical term). Is there anyway to cure this? or is it just replacement?

jackherer

Yes thats right, where the throttle cable attaches to. When its idling high see if you can affect it by moving the thing the cable attaches to up and down etc, if you can affect the rpm without turning it or clicking the throttle switch then its worn. Easiest solution is replacing the throttle body but its getting harder to find unworn ones these days.

Ade

Thanks I'll have a play tonight.

nick

Also, which way up is the air flow meter mounted?

I had all sorts of problems with mine when the AFM was mounted with the electrical plug to the top (I worked out that the flap spring was weak, which when mounted with the pivot at the bottom the weight of the flap was letting it open slightly and causing erratic idling)

Worth a look.

Nick

Ade

Ok I was playing around the throttle body where the accelerator cable attaches and there would appear to be two parts that rotate like a butterfly??

The lower one has a kind of roller pin into a fork arrangent (I'll try not to blind you all with my tech speak..... ) nd there seems to be a lot of play in the pin, when messing around with it the car will die. Is this the normal wear that people see? Can I just replace the pin?

Sorry for daft questions!

Ade

Sandy

Check for breather system damage as well.

GLPoomobile

Think I might have the exact same problem with my new Mi :unsure:

Was fine on the test drive, fine driving back to Devon, fine when I took it for a long thrash in Devon, fine when I drove it home to London, and fine when I went for a thrash on Sat morning. But went out on Sunday and right from the word go it didn't want to idle properly. Every time I dipped the clutch in traffic the revs would drop down to 500rpm, bounce back up to 1500rpm, drop again etc etc, maybe settling eventually to an even 1000rpm, or just stalling as I tried to balance the throttle :D

I'll have a look at the breather pipes and throttle body.

jackherer
The lower one has a kind of roller pin into a fork arrangent (I'll try not to blind you all with my tech speak..... ) nd there seems to be a lot of play in the pin, when messing around with it the car will die. Is this the normal wear that people see? Can I just replace the pin?

Thats definitely a knackered throttle body, you shouldn't be able to stall it as the end stops should stop you. I've always had replacements to hand so I just swap them, no idea if they are fixable.

Ade

I'd just like to say a big thanks for the help.

It was indeed the throttle body. After some time searching e-bay I found one and replaced it at the end of last week (that turned into a bigger trauma than I'd hoped). Drove the car all weekend and happy to report the idle is rock solid! not a hint of stalling or going low ^_^

So thanks again

Ade

jackherer

nice one :)

I think I need a new TB on my pug... again.. :huh: I might fit a VAG one just for reliability.

jim21070
nice one :)

I think I need a new TB on my pug... again.. :huh: I might fit a VAG one just for reliability.

I'd better have a look at that duff one of yours then ;)

jackherer

Nice one Jim, IIRC the one I left with you had failed in the classic manner, just like the one Ade describes in this thread. I don't remember if it was a Weber or an AMC, they have some subtle differences but some parts are interchangeable and they seem to fail in exactly the same way.

Longun

As Ade's problem is fixed can anyone have a quick stab at mine. My problem is not dipping revs but revving too high. Mine also feels like the throttle is being held open even after I've come off the pedal. Also have a slight misfire now and then which I think is related to the throttle staying open. I've done a few searches and ignition seems to be one area and so does the TB or icv. If I disconnect the icv the revs rise then settle but when I pug it back in the revs go right up then again drop. I'll check the TB as above later tonight.

Anything you can think of would help :D

Sign in to follow this