• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Quigs

205 2lt Turbo

Quigs

hi all,

i have a 2lt turbo 205, i was just wondering how i can get the fev counter to work??

any ideas, done a quick search but get online for long.

cheers quigs

Quigs

another quick question is where would the vss senor be on my 205 turbo??

Quigs

Baz

The gearbox between it and the speedo cable afaik. there's a very similar thread around atm. :D

pug_ham

Rev counter is signalled from the ecu so you need a convertor or to modify your clocks with a suitable rev counter.

Modified clocks topic

Graham.

B1ack_Mi16
Rev counter is signalled from the ecu so you need a convertor or to modify your clocks with a suitable rev counter.

Modified clocks topic

Graham.

Or you could just use Hilgert's method and use 2 diodes and 1 resistor, and get signal from output side of the ignition modules. Works like a charm, have done it on a 309 with S16 engine myself.

Quigs
The gearbox between it and the speedo cable afaik. there's a very similar thread around atm. :)

ah right i don't remember doing anything else down by the speedo cable does it go in to the gearbox, another words i aint got a clue.

Or you could just use Hilgert's method and use 2 diodes and 1 resistor, and get signal from output side of the ignition modules. Works like a charm, have done it on a 309 with S16 engine myself.

do you know it is done, would be very helpful if you could tell me,

cheers

Quigs

pug_ham
do you know it is done, would be very helpful if you could tell me,
Possibly the same way as shown in this attachment.

Graham.

Hilgie

yes Graham, exactly the same.

sonofsam

Yep, this is what I have planned too, already have the diode pack built.

Any reason why I cant take a signal from the negatives on the ignition amp module?!

Cant gain enough access at the coil pack plug at the moment :)

Edited by sonofsam

B1ack_Mi16
Yep, this is what I have planned too, already have the diode pack built.

Any reason why I cant take a signal from the negatives on the ignition amp module?!

Cant gain enough access at the coil pack plug at the moment :)

As long as you take it from the wire going from ignition module(s) to the coil(s) it's just fine.

sonofsam
ah right i don't remember doing anything else down by the speedo cable does it go in to the gearbox, another words i aint got a clue.

cheers

Quigs

Quigs, this is a VSS,

looks like a regular speedo cable drive, but has a three pin connection for a plug on the turbo loom.

Should be 17 theeth IIRC on the red cog you see in the picture, otherwise your speedo

may read 'out'

As long as you take it from the wire going from ignition module(s) to the coil(s) it's just fine.

Thanks Kristian, will have a go at this then.

Quigs

cheers all, i'll give that a go.

would of the vss been on the xm gear box then??

if so have to if it's still where i left it

Quigs

petert
i have a 2lt turbo 205, i was just wondering how i can get the fev counter to work??

Don't forget that even after you've made the diode pack you still need to modify the rev counter to accept the low voltage signal.

B1ack_Mi16
Don't forget that even after you've made the diode pack you still need to modify the rev counter to accept the low voltage signal.

Didn't have to modify anything on mine, which I just wired into the coil-driver outputs from the Emerald, neither on my mates 309 which we put the 2.0 S16 engine into. On the S16 we needed 4 diodes though as It's 4 coils.

Wired it up to the output wires from the ignitionmodules and everything worked fine.

petert

That's odd for a 205. They have a large value resistor on the tacho input which attenuates the high voltage input from the standard coil. It must be marginal whether it works or not as standard. It certainly works perfectly when you short out the resistor. 405 tachos are different. They work perfectly off a 12V input.

Edited by petert

Ant
Quigs, this is a VSS,

looks like a regular speedo cable drive, but has a three pin connection for a plug on the turbo loom.

Should be 17 theeth IIRC on the red cog you see in the picture, otherwise your speedo

may read 'out'

Thanks Kristian, will have a go at this then.

Thats interesting Sam.. I used the 205 cog ( green i think ) and not the red 605 one, and my speedo is out... When it shows 50, im doing 70 !!!

That was on my "to do" list in the next few weeks

Thanks

bales
Thats interesting Sam.. I used the 205 cog ( green i think ) and not the red 605 one, and my speedo is out... When it shows 50, im doing 70 !!!

Thanks

My speedo has been reading out aswell and I think this is the reason, at 60mph mine is exactly 10mph out so mine says 50mph. Then at at an indicated 70mph I am doing 85mph!!

My 205 speedo worm gear is red, and I can't remeber what colour the one off the turbo engine is, but I shall be swapping them round.

Out of interest does anyone know what the rev limiter on the xu10cjte is, as erm...when I went down (a very quiet) stretch of motorway the other night, I put my foot down for a little bit to see what it pulled like and was suprised when at an indicated 110mph I shat myself as I thought I had hit a fuel cut as it suddenly cut all power :D

It seems that this may have been ahem....the rev limiter in 5th :D

All I can say is that it took a very very short time to get there, any estimations at what speed that may have been on a standard 1.9 box? ;)

Edited by bales

sonofsam

Thanks

Hi Ant. Im pretty certain I checked the number of teeth against the 205 unit, and it was the same.

However I didnt get the VSS from a 605/xm/406 etc..

Edited by sonofsam

Mikey G
Possibly the same way as shown in this attachment.

Graham.

Does anybody know if you need the same values of components as shown here or are there alternatives?

I can get the rectifier diodes but the zener is not listed in the likes of Maplins or RS.

jonnie205

maplins etc dont do the zener listed but you can get one which is very similar and seems to work fine. I have never needed to mod the 205 tacho in order for it to work with the 4 diodes of the coil packs either

Hilgie

Actually you can leave the Zener out without problems.

Sign in to follow this