• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aitchy

Help With Bodywork

aitchy

I have recently bought a 1.9 gti and it needs a wee tidy up on the outside

one problem is where the sunroof sits when open the paint has faded to white as pic shows, would this need re sprayed? or a good polish? is this a common problem as never owned one before?

DSCI0038.jpg

hengti

looks like the lacquer. sadly, lacquer problems are common

i think you're looking at a respray job if it is the lacquer. waxing doesn't help and there's nothing you can do to prevent it spreading, which (given time) it likely will do :D

ORB

get some G3 cutting compound.

I think thats a good chance at cutting back.

aitchy

Thanks for the help , this g3 cutting compound i googled, what will it actually do? will it turn the white back to blue ?? it says its like a high gloss finish?

ps i better put paint fading white wash laquer problem for anyone in similar circumstances :D

Edited by aitchy

Paintguy

As said, it's a very common problem, which normally starts on the roof and bonnet, but can spread like a cancer around the car :)

Think of G3 compound as the professional alternative to T-Cut. It's an abrasive polish, that will remove the top layer of lacquer. It can help in some cases, restoring the colour and shine, but most Pugs are too far gone for it to work fully.

EDIT: See this topic ;)

Edited by Paintguy

Sign in to follow this