• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Yimkin_FJ

That Flaming Judder....

Yimkin_FJ

OK, ever since I've owned the thing, firm braking (especially from high speed) has induced a judder through the pedal - very disconcerting and it spoils the car. There are (very expensive) service records from before I bought the car for 'investigation'. Front discs were badly scored when I bought it, so I replaced the discs and pads (Bendix) to no avail. My gut feeling is eccentric rear drums, but surely (hah! I know) the garage that the previous owner appointed would have thought of that? Before I spring for new drums, any ideas? It is a Phase 1.5 Sorrento 1.6 GTi. Any thoughts welcome!

TEKNOPUG

did you bed the new brakes in properly?

Yimkin_FJ

Yep, bedded in correctly. Besides, the judder only kicks in on reasonably heavy braking from highish speeds, which is the only time when the rear brakes will have any real effect.

RossD

Try *CAREFULLY* pulling the handbrake on whilst coasting in a straight line, this will determine weather it is front or rear brakes.

Jer309GTi

Did you make sure the hubs were properly clean before fitting the new discs? A bit of rust on the hub can warp the disc slightly

Yimkin_FJ
Try *CAREFULLY* pulling the handbrake on whilst coasting in a straight line, this will determine weather it is front or rear brakes.

Yep - judder back in spades, so guess it must be eccentric rear drums - thanks for the tip!

Retro Pug

I'm experiencing this aswell.

I've already replaced:

front shocks and springs

strut top mounts

brake discs

callipers

pads

drop links

wheel bearings

After reading the post above I've tried pulling the handbrake and do feel vibration but nowhere near the same amount as when pressing the pedal, could this still be the rear brakes?

I have also just fitted a set of refurbed 1.9 alloys with new tyres which seems to amplify the problem.....HELP!!

Many thanks

John.

Retro Pug

Anyone??

This is really anoying now.......

Cheers

John.

dirtdog

i have got this juddering you are experiencing. hope this helps...

MOT centre advised me on oval drums last time round. A wheel bearing was on its way out a week or so later, so i changed the drums the same time. but the car still moved up and down like on the tester. turns out i've got a bent axle stub. i've been informed i cant replace this..i have to replace the whole beam? :)

the previous owner was a lady and she must have ramped it up kerbs or had a bump in it for it to bend surely?

Jrod

You can easily replace stub axles.

Try a search and you should find something. :)

Edited by Jrod

dirtdog

are these the stub axles? it calls them stub pins rather than axles. I am looking to get a pair but cannot find them anywhere. This is the only thing i can find...

A little help anyone...?

i think they are the correct item but..i dont wanna go and buy them before i know for sure

http://www.specialtuninguk.co.uk/acatalog/...1600_Drums.html

they have to pressed in and out?

johno_78
are these the stub axles? it calls them stub pins rather than axles. I am looking to get a pair but cannot find them anywhere. This is the only thing i can find...

A little help anyone...?

i think they are the correct item but..i dont wanna go and buy them before i know for sure

http://www.specialtuninguk.co.uk/acatalog/...1600_Drums.html

they have to pressed in and out?

yeah, that's a stub axle.

you need a special tool to press them out. It's called a large hammer :wacko:

dirtdog

cheers mate! i just so happen to have one of those "special tools"

would i be right in thinking nothing else needs to be removed if your replacing a stub axle? thanks

McPikie

I've just realised mine has something wrong with the rear end. I thought it was possibly bearing, but a slight lift of the h/brake at 0mph gave a nasty judder.

How do I tell what side is it?? Or should I just stick a 1900 beam on it??

dirtdog

i dont need to use the handbrake to feel it.i can feel it thru the foot pedal.

go to a local garage and use the brake tester(should be free to check it). they can figure out which side it is from the machine readouts

Sign in to follow this