• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Plating Sunroof

swordfish210

mmmmmmm i prefer the non rivet look myself, i think rivets only look cool on an old WW2 fighter plane

johnrobertgordon

One removed sunroof......

One ally plate.......

A rather large smothering of tiger bond........

And lots of rivets....

Was painted over when the car was resprayed. The car was fully caged (OMP 10pt Fitted properly). After a while the paint cracked around the plate, and when braking hard you could hear the roof "pinging".

I would say that quite a lot of the chassis stress go's through the roof.

ashley peddle
mmmmmmm i prefer the non rivet look myself, i think rivets only look cool on an old WW2 fighter plane

have to disagree im affraid - the rivets give it that "ready for business" kind of look :( (well - mine are smallish bolts :))

Picture_265.sized.jpg

Jrod

If you are sticking a plate on the roof it's always going to look 'crap' I mean what car comes with a big plate on it's roof.

May aswell rivet it so it's gonna stay on there and will look purposeful. :(

Either that or get a non sunny! :)

IanG Dorset

what are you meant to do in the unlikely event that you want to take it of if it is stuck on with tape!

Martin W

This thread makes for interesting reading, I'm planning to use a sheet of aluminium, with rivets in the existing holes in the roof (from the factory sunroof) to join it. Probabakly going to lay it on a layer of silicon to make it water tight and stop the vibrations. If bonding it also makes it water tight then thats not a bad idea.

Just spray the sheet off the car and leave the ritets exposed in their natural colour otherwise the paint around them is likely to crack over time from a few that I have seen.

jackherer

I recently fitted one of Ashley Peddles plates using allen head bolts and washers which I think looks OK.

Martin W
I recently fitted one of Ashley Peddles plates using allen head bolts and washers which I think looks OK.

I take it you had to use large (ish) washers? If you have a pic that would be useful for this thread (and me).

Trick
I take it you had to use large (ish) washers? If you have a pic that would be useful for this thread (and me).

and useful for me too...as this is what im planning on doing.

jackherer

They weren't that large, 10mm IIRC, I might have got slightly better results with larger ones as it goes, but it doesn't leak and the roof isn't distorted so I'm happy.

I don't have any pics and I'm not in the same town as the car at the moment, I think some people took pics at the south meet on sunday though... If not I'll post some in the next few days.

ashley peddle

cool B) i havnt actualy had ANY feedback from them (bit worrying since 20 people bought them :P )

was the fit ok? i used nuts and bolts on mine - i think it looks pretty cool ;)

jackherer

Fit was fine, a couple of the holes didnt quite line up but I was opening them up for larger bolts anyway so it worked out ok.

ashley peddle

good good B)

from memory i had to open a couple of the front ones up... but then i decided to use bigger bolts anyways so opened them all up :P

Trick

Ashley, do you have pics of your roof up close?

ashley peddle

i did on my old computer :)

will take some when im next up the workshop :)

Sign in to follow this