• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Plating Sunroof

swordfish210

I made myself a sunroof plate the other day and i have a few questions about fitting it.

First how do i remove the old sunroof (glass and rails) the rails on mine seem to be riveted in so will i just have to drill these out? secondly if i do have to drill out these rivets what is the best way of bunging up the holes? Thanks

e30m3

I drilled out all of the old rivets

When putting the sunroof plat on i reused the existing rivit holes (along with quite a few more)

The holes further down the roof i just put a rivets in with sealer round them and then painted the whole lot.

Hope this helps

swordfish210

yeah thanks that helps i just want it all to look as neat as possible so i'm not using a mechanical fixing method, i'm going to attach the plate with double sided tape and PU adhesive sealant, or does that sound too mad?

just one more thing, what size rivets did you use to bung up the extra holes?

ashley peddle

sounds mad to me using double sided tape... when you take off the old sunroof you can use it as a template for the doles on your new plate (youll see when i mean when you get the glass out!)

swordfish210

yeah but i think you're underestimating how strong that PU adhesive is, the glass fibre roof of my boss's truck is stuck down with it :)

swordfish210

anyone know what size rivets i'll have to use?

johnnyboy666

i thought the idea of plating the sunroof was to offer more 'security' in a roll, and to stiffen the shell a little, so surely if the plate is pu'd on it would still flex (if not more so) than the sunroof and would just tear off if (god forbid) you were to roll? just my thoughts :)

swordfish210

the idea behind me plating the sunroof was to save some weight and to stop the damm thing pissing in water everytime it rains

ashley peddle

if you fit it properly it will also strengthen the shell

Baz

There's nothing wrong with a decent grade adhesive, Sikaflex etc. Why not? I know plenty done like this with no bolts etc. If you rolled with a glass sunroof then

you'd be in a bit more trouble than with a sealed/stuck on plate anyway, even if it could possibly come off.

But, saying that, i'm sure you can use the existing bolt holes from the original sunroof, to have some sort of discreet screws holding a sufficient plate down. I think this is how Ashley's is.

if you fit it properly it will also strengthen the shell

To a degree, compared to being left with a hole in then just maybe, but only if welded in really is it going to be any stronger.

If the roof had any degree of flex or was a point at where the chassis' torque was directed then surely the glass would shatter in a std sunroof if it was all that weak in the first place?

tom_m
If the roof had any degree of flex or was a point at where the chassis' torque was directed then surely the glass would shatter in a std sunroof if it was all that weak in the first place?

the standard sunroof glass isn't connected to the shell in any way that flex could affect it. it on sprung runners and a rubber seal, not boned/trapped in an aperture.

ashley peddle

im guessing the rubber seals would absorbe the flex from any flexing.

205 parts have puctures from one of their sunroof plates... before and after shots. you can see the difference quite clearly - and it wasnt wended in B)

• Like 1

Baz

Ah right, that's pretty interesting! Anyone got these pics?

205turbo

can only find these as i'm at work at the moment

post-17-1180620946_thumb.jpg

post-17-1180620957_thumb.jpg

ashley peddle

was alister that showed me them - they were full roof pics. in the first (before fitting) the roof had the usual droop in the middle... in the second one it looked perfectly flat B)

swordfish210

well i'v just seen my plate after it's been sprayed and it looks pretty cool so heres how i'm going to attach it. Double sided tape all around, a strip of PU adhesive on either side of the tape (if that makes sense) then i'm going to put 1 rivet in each corner and some sealant around all of the edges. I still need to know what size rivets to use though, anyone know?

Edited by swordfish210

205turbo

I would use more than 1 rivet in each corner.

my reason is, if you have a crash theres a chance of it shearing the rivets and taking someones head off !!!

swordfish210

i'v got a cage in it and if i rolled it with the sunroof in then the glass would just shatter and i'd be in the same situation

205turbo

i was thinking of people out side the car ie marshals

swordfish210

ah sorry i misunderstood you, well as i'v said before that PU sealant is bloody strong stuff, i'v stuck two bits of wood togeather with it before (as a demonstration) and challenged people to get it apart without using cutting tools and i'v yet to find anyone who can do it

Baz

Mercedes use it to affix the boot floors in all their cars now, never come away in an accident, they sooner bend.

Jrod

Personallyy I wouldnt use tape, it's not actually going to do anything.

Use the adhesive all the way around to seal it then a few rivets (they look as cool as feck with rivets anyways?!)

ashley peddle

Use the adhesive all the way around to seal it then a few rivets (they look as cool as feck with rivets anyways?!)

yes... they do B)

Jrod

I've got a non sunny and I wanna put rivets in my roof! B):lol:

ashley peddle

yes... they do B)

Sign in to follow this