• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kitch

Ma Box Squealing?!

Kitch

I've just bought a little Saxo VTR which needs a bit of work. The main issue is that there appears to be a loud squealing noise coming from the bell housing area of the gearbox. When you start the engine cold it isn't there, but as soon as you dip the clutch it starts and continues for most of the average journey. Once the noise has started, it doesn't go away whatever you do with the clutch, although it does change pitch slightly.

I'm not adverse to the loud release bearings on these cars, but this is really loud, like a belt slipping, and unlike the release bearing noise it doesn't go away when the clutch is pressed. The car has had a new clutch fitted recently too, and a garage the previous owner took it to said it was the flywheel. I can't see how a solid metal disc can cause the noise, but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

Cheers

Kitch

Just an update: If you're sitting still and idling in neutral, it does nothing. Then if you start to press the clutch you get a light metal "chinging" noise starting. Push the clutch to the floor and it gets louder.

Rev the engine while you're doing this and it turns into a screech. I took the gearbox off last night and pulled the clutch off, and can't see anything obviously wrong. I'm a bit stumped.

t16ryan

Sounds like release bearing, if its only there when pressing the clutch

Sign in to follow this