• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

Building Own Roll Cage Regulations

DaveK

Basically as above, the cage needs to be FIA approved so is it actually permitted to build my own?

Cheers, Dave

Baz

I believe so, but you'll need a proper pipe bender, have to use the correct guage and size CDS tubing, and have some top notch welding, then it'll have to be inspected by a scrutineer at least i would of thought, if not someone of a higher status. I wouldn't have thought it'd be worth all the effort IMO. I'm sure there's a few guys that would know a bit more about it than i that will post. :unsure:

brianthemagical

have you had a look on the fia web site? there my be something there. on the cheacking front, i thought scrutineers just had to cheack the stickers/labels that show they are fia approved on parts to pass it. i would have thought that someone higher would have to approve it. on the idea of top notch welding, do you know that your welding is strong enough? it is your/someone elses life at stake.

how can you check/approve welding? without destroying the item.

deejay391
how can you check/approve welding? without destroying the item.

NDT Non-destructive testing.... used alot in marine applications & big factory works, you basically take a X-Ray of the metal and se if there are any cracks under the surface, also a dye can be added that will show up hair line cracks. Very expensive but through :unsure:

Edited by deejay391

max0

i watch a lot of autograss racing and got talking to one of the directors who was trying to egg me and a friend to get into racing anyway when we where asking him various questions he said one rule which he couldnt understand was if you went out and bought a fia roll cage it was illegal and your car wouldnt pass, but any one can make there own and it passes which is rather backwards and worrying.

Baz

That's Autograssing for you... :unsure:

Again IMHO i really can't see it being worth it.

Edited by BazGTMi

Rippthrough
That's Autograssing for you... :unsure:

Again IMHO i really can't see it being worth it.

They have to pay for a chassis to be tested and approved for the top-level guys, we had to have it done last year for the BORC.

Baz

Yeah sorry i'm not so clued up on the higher up classes tbh, but from what i know of, 'yeah we just weld some bars in here...'

Rippthrough
Yeah sorry i'm not so clued up on the higher up classes tbh, but from what i know of, 'yeah we just weld some bars in here...'

tbh, they tend to go way over the top to what you need to be safe anyway, as the chassis needs to be so stiff to keep the dampers working and stop the chassis bending.

I mean:

body1.jpg

It's kinda strong.

Sign in to follow this