• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

Megasquirt Assembly Help

cybernck

i've looked through MS topics on here and trawled through loads of MS "official" pages,

however, i've still got a few questions, fairly simply ones though.

when my father was building our MS, he didn't really know the specs and/or differences

between MS1 and MS2, trigerring types, PWM etc, so he ended up soldering all the

components on the board. now i obviously have to go through it all and remove

what's not required.

so the first thing i've come accross is some MS2-only stuff and i've already made

a short list of what bits to remove. but puzzles me is wether i should completely

ignore the step 65 in the guide (http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm),

meaning that i remove all the components mentioned and just follow the external link

for using MS1 with various triggering wheels, or what? and do the steps from 66 'till

the end normally apply to both MS1 and MS2?

also, there are circuits for both hall/optical and VR sensors installed, but i'll just use

jumpers to select the VR one.

and then the PWM valve control and flyback - i guess i don't need any of that since

we'll be running high-impedance injectors but, from what i understood, it doesn't

matter really if i keep it all in place anyway?

and finally, did our processors (from the group buy) come with MSnS-E loaded or

do i have to load it myself?

p.s. we intend to use MS only to control the injection at first (while keeping Motronic

for ignition) before switching to full control later on.

p.s.2. does anyone have a pic of a built-up V3 board with MS1 ecu, ready for use

with 60-2 missing tooth triggering (basically for running a standard Mi16) so i could

compare it with mine?

p.s.3. and does anyone have a standard Mi16 full MS1 map ready for use?

i need the answers quickly as we want to get it running over the weekend really :).

thanks.

madspikes

Try this link... Have a look on the Mad Profs web page as well, should be of some help.

Link

I can answer some of you questions.

I would load the latest code on to your MS anyway just so you know exactly what code your running, its dead easy to do.

"the PWM valve control and flyback " - If I remember right I've just left flyback in place on my board, and dont use it as such. I dont think I've added the PWM, but should ok to just leave it and not use it.

Mad. :)

cybernck

ok, i'll load the latest firmware in and leave all the PWM bits in as well :).

i know about Mad Professor's project page but he's using MS2.

madspikes

If you look at the bottom of the page, it shows a MS v3 board with the extra coil drivers installed, the picture at the top is a v3 board with a MSII chip.

cybernck

yeah... a bit very low-resolution though ;).

SPGTi

I am pretty sure there are photos in the MSnextra manual. Links on the MSextra forum.

Steve

Scottieb

disconnect the flyback if you are using high impeadance injectors, it wont harm leaving it connected but its just somthing else to go wrong, so if you dont need it dont use it.

I had a flyback tranny go when i was using it with low impeadance injectors on a rover V8 install. when i darined th oil there was nearly two gallons came out from all the fuel than had gone into the sump! (Transistor blew short circuit causing the injector to stay open)

Scott

Scottieb

also as said above, load the latest software, its very easy to do, then you know you are up to date.

cybernck

ok, thanks for the suggestions.

what about step 65 of the megamanual though?

65. It is choice time again. In this case, you will decide whether to populate the high-current ignition driver circuit. This circuit can be used to drive a single coil in a distributor application. In conjunction with an appropriate input signal (from a VR, Hall, or optical sensor, or even points), it allows you to eliminate a separate ignition module, such as a GM HEI 7 or 8 pin module, and run the coil directly from MegaSquirt.

If you aren't sure what output circuit to use, check to see if your ignition is on this list and follow the instruction in the link if it is:

GM HEI

GM DIS

Ford EDIS

Ford TFI

Bosch 0 227 100 124

MSD 6A

Direct Coil Control

The following instructions are for MS-II only. If you are planning to use MSnS-E, please see the MSnS-E site for instructions on how to wire the high current circuit.

i know it's pretty obvious that i should ignore it (e.g. remove the components)

but it's a rather long step, so i'd rather be safe than sorry :unsure:.

Mad Professor

When I prebuild my megasquirt units before shipping I install all the conponents unless ask not to.

If you are running the MS1 CPU, I would say to you to download the lastest version of the MS1 Extra code.

I have used all the dif versions of the code out this for the MS1 & MS2 cpu's.

As stated above when I 1st started a number of years back with my own megasquirt it came with the MS2 CPU with the standard B&G code (firmware), At that point my megasquirt was only used for the fualing side of the engine, I then later move to fual & spark via ford edis, I later then desided to used the stock Mi16 60-2 flywheel & bocsh / sagam coil pack, at that point in time the MS2 with the B&G code did not support 60-2 trigger wheel or Coil Packs, So I had to buy a MS1 cpu and load the MS1 Extra Code (firmware) onto it, Now in the last few months MS2 Extra code (firmware) has come out, I started using this even in the alpha stages, and helped with the bug finding, this is now in a stable beta code's, and I am running my car on it daly.

I use the MS2 cpu over the MS1 cpu only due to it's a faster cpu, so it can react quicker, and gives a smoother ride.

So it don't really matter if you are running the MS1 or MS2 cpu, But I would say to use the lastest verson of the MS extra code for that cpu.

MS1 Extra version: 029v

MS2 Extra version: Beta 1.0.2

If you are running coil packs or coil on plugs, NEVER do a firmware update wile thay are connected, as you will have a high risk of killings your coils and or vb921 ign drivers.

I hope this helps abit if not please let me know.

cybernck

that's some useful info, thanks.

however, i'm still thinking that having MS2-only components installed on the board

will somehow influence or cause problems when using MS1 CPU ;).

Mad Professor

What do you mean by "MS2-only components" thats got me abit confused. :D

karlo

The only thing that can cause real problems when sticking an MS1 CPU in a board set up for an MS2 CPU is if you have the +12V strap from the hole marked S12C to the hole marked JS9. That will fry your MS1 chip.

MS1/extra likes to use different pins for outputting spark, so you may have to do some resoldering if you want to use that, but everything else should be fine. I'm assuming you have the straps correctly installed for VR operation.

cybernck
What do you mean by "MS2-only components" thats got me abit confused. :D

take a look a few posts up - step 65 of the megamanual.

Mad Professor

Step 65 is for ign type.

If you are going to be using (coil packs) or (coil on plug), and using MS1 Extra or MS2 extra step 65 is not needed, as you need to make a hardware mod anyway.

v3board1.gif

vb921-driver-extras.gif

Direct%20Coil%20Control%20Front.jpg

Direct%20Coil%20Control%20Back%20(With%20Heat%20Sink).jpg

cybernck

ok, time for an update :D.

we've removed all the excessive components (PWM-stuff, MS2 only stuff

and finally Hall/Optical trigger stuff) and left the ECU set up for negative

side of coil trigger and a VR input trigger.

we've also placed the CPU in and i've successfully loaded the latest

MSNS-Extra (029v) firmware in (had to do it twice for some reason).

i can make a connection via an old laptop with serial port on COM1

and also via my new laptop, using a USB<>R232 convertor bought

with VEMS WBO2 gauge, on COM8 :D.

but there are a few more questions now:

- if using a pug VR sensor, do i connect TSEL to VROUT or VROUTINV?

- if using negative coil trigger (and jumper the board for this use ofcourse),

where exactly do i connect the negative coil trigger wire (on the MS DB37)?

- also, if using negative coil trigger, does it matter that VB921 coil driver

is set up (i'm sure it says i can just ignore it, even disable it in software).

the thing is, i want to use the ECU for fuel only (for now) and obviously

need to keep the standard Motronic ECU for the ignition side of things.

i thought i'd share the VR signal but that might prove to be a bit tricky

so i'll probably go for the negative coil trigger. i still need to do something

about the coolant temp sensor (probably just add another one for MS),

but what about an idle valve - i guess that i keep leave it up to Motronic

at the moment but i'll need to do something about it later.

and finally, can anyone running MS1 on V3 board with MSNS-Extra on

an Mi16, please send me their MegaTune configuration file?

thanks ;).

Sign in to follow this