• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

A Few Mi Conversion Questions

boldy205

Hi, i am converting my 205 GTI to an MI16 on carbs and have the following questions:

where have people mounted the PAS tank, and havr they used the std 205 item?

What have people done about a feed to the ram from the pump (using the MI16 pump) as the Std. pipe is to long? i think i have heard about some one using another pipe from a differant pug?

do people use an oil cooler (for fast road/track day) if not can i just screw the oil filter directly onto the block?

where does the hole on the right hand side of the header tank go (on a phase 2/square tank) and if i need to blank it off how have people done it?

and finaly how have people gone about getting a vaccuum feed to the vac advance on the dizzy? have people just tapped into the servo pipe? is this ok from personal experiance??

Thanks for your time reading this.

Matt.

Baz

Not sure why you'd need/want to blank off any header tank out/inlets, you just run the coolant system the same way as the 8v ran it.

In regard to the oil cooler, for the road, i personally dont think there's much need for one, especially with an alloy sump. If anything run the std Mi16 water/oil cooler/heater, good for a road car. Even if doing a little track work really. The std 1.9 Gti coolers though, are next to useless IMO, wouldn't even bother. If you really feel you want or need one, go the whole hog with a Mocal or similar aftermarket system.

boldy205

ok thanks, does anyone know where the hole on the top right side of the header tank actually goes??

Pug_Power_Dave

Is that not just an hole for and overboard pipe? mine just runs down the side of my inner wing into nothing less so if it gets too hot the water drains out there!

Cheers

Dave

maturin23

Re the PAS I used a pipe from a diesel pug - it's also got the pump on the passenger side of the engine - fitted straight on. £10 from a scrappy.

boldy205

pug power dave: am i being dafr or is the system not presusised thereore every time it got hot/up to normal running temp it would loose all its water??!!

Simes

Alloy sump plus no oil cooler has been fine for me for road use even in hotter climes.

On track you can get up to the fourth line rather quickly though.

Pug_Power_Dave

header.jpg

Do you mean the bit i've circled in red? cos thats the overboard pipe, and it comes out above the bottom of the presure cap, so will hold all the water in when it gets up to presure and temp, but if it gets too high then the pressure valve in the cap retracts and the water comes out.

Any help to you?

Cheers

Dave

boldy205

Ahh thanks for the photo its the later type header tank i have, and my blow off pipe (ahem :) ) is round the back of the neck. So how many inlets/outlets do you have in you tank and where do they go?? I have 4 in total,

one is the big out let in the bottom to the bottom of the rad.

one is the blow off.

one small one goes to the top of the rad.

And one other where i dont know where it should go to? poss on the T/B / injection /inlet manifold etc??

Thanks

Matt.

Ren

That would then depend on whether you are using the oil cooler or not and which thermostat housing you have.

If you are using the cooler and Mi thermostat housing the pipe comes from the stat into the cooler and then the other one comes out to the header tank.

If you are using Mi thermostat housing but no cooler then it just goes between the stat and h/t. See here:- http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/ren...Thermostat1.jpg

If you are usig the 8v thermostat housing then it goes to the pipe above which is normally linked to the throttle body. See here:- http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/ren...Thermostat2.jpg

taylorspug

The pipe on the right of the header tank can be blanked off, its only the 'pre-heater' for the throttle body (designed for if the engine was used in much colder climates). It wont be an issue if its not there, and in fact if you are on carbs you will have nowhere to fit it to anyway! :wacko:

Id also say the same as others regarding the oil cooler, an alloy sump and no cooler seems fine for road use, however for track or serious road abuse go for a decent sized Mocal cooler, the std 1.9 item is complete toilet.

Pug_Power_Dave

beaten to the relpy lol, but yea what they said :wacko:

Good luck finishing it up

Dave

Jer309GTi
for serious road abuse go for a decent sized Mocal cooler, the std 1.9 item is complete toilet.

Think you'd better get a Mocal then Matt :P:lol:

Hilgie
one is the big out let in the bottom to the bottom of the rad.

one is the blow off.

one small one goes to the top of the rad.

And one other where i dont know where it should go to? poss on the T/B / injection /inlet manifold etc??

All correct, but the last one goes to the top of the thermostat housing. There's small pipe there where it connects to.

boldy205

Magic its all ok now thanks, and after a full rebuild it started within two revolutions of the starter!! couldnt belive it!! i am having problems with the SBC (Skip Brown) dizzy adapter. Basicaly the dizzy drive doesnt line up with the end of the camshaft/adapter and therefore as the engine turns the 8v stat housing actually twists with each rotation of the engine independentaly fron the head! ;) Not good. anyone had experiance of these adapters/problems??

Thanks for the response so far. Just to clarify im using a alloy MI16 on carbs with the 8valve stat housing.

While im here, i have a filter king pressure reg/filter (the one with the plastic/glass bowl) and was wondering as a rough guide to run the car untill its rolling roaded what setting people are using(how many turns out the nut is) for a std. Mi on 45s?? Thanks

Matt.

Edited by boldy205

Sign in to follow this