• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dj_mini

Windscreen

Dj_mini

As title says can i put a 205 windscreen in using the old string method or is it a pro job?

Cheers Dan

pugman211

i put my 309 front screen in using the old string!!! So long as its not a bonded in screen your laughin, just have a second person to tap the screen into place as u pull the string etc.

sutol

I bought a windscreen fitting tool from FROST and it's one of the better tools that I have bought. Makes it easy peasy :unsure:

Baz

Yup. Use some Strong string though, you're screwed if it breaks when you're halfway round it all being in!

Have your assistant put some pressure on the outside of the edge of the screen/rubber as you pull the string round, but not too much mind, or you learn the hard way like my oaf of a mate that helped me! :):D

VisaGTi16v

If you have an old washing line use that as its a bit stronger. Wrap it round with the start/finish in the middle at the bottom then pull it slowly as someone pushes gently on the outside. Did my screen like this, it snapped right at the end but just went in fine! If its a new rubber surround then soak it first in hot water or something to soften it up a bit

Baz

Could leave a couple of overlapped loops hanging out in a couple of places to have a couple of places to pull it in from too. :)

steve@cornwall

TIP... Have a trigger-spray window cleaner handy to lubricate the rubber as it slides home

VisaGTi16v

Must resist smutty comment in reply.....! :)

Dj_mini

Great looks like the wife is getting her hands dirty this wekend then :) putting the windscreen in before the smuty coments come :D

Ren

If you use a washing line double it up if possible as I find it a bit thin.

It's even possible to put one in with an electrical extension lead, just make sure you don't trap the plug on the outside.

Ren.

Phil H

I just put one in using a plastic thing that you flip your fried eggs with to lift the seal as I went round.

fencer

i used a thin (2mm) nylon string to put the windscreen on my 205

Edited by fencer

Baz

Did one this morning, used a piece of wire cable! And some soapy water. ;)

Dj_mini

Got mine in with out bother just a bit of help and string ;)

intnew001.jpg

Baz
Got mine in with out bother just a bit of help and string :D

intnew001.jpg

Nice cage! What is it? get a thread up with some pics & details etc, i'm sure there'll be a few of us interested. :D

Dj_mini
Nice cage! What is it? get a thread up with some pics & details etc, i'm sure there'll be a few of us interested.

Graham did set up a project page but im a muppet and couldnt get the picy page to work :D and yes i am crap with computers!

mickie

wish i found this thread before i started, i got mine out with screw drivers.. :wacko:

the windscreens in bits, worked ok with my mates old xr2 :blush:

Sign in to follow this