• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Nathan

Sorting Out Decent Fueling For A Turbo

Nathan

Right now sourcing parts for my TT project is going pretty well (this was supposed to be a budget project but that idea has now gone out of the window!)

I have more or less a complete TT kit, a DTA E48 ecu and loom and am hopefully getting a 2nd hand bottom end which has forged pistons (these will be machined to reduce comp).

Now the side I'm unsure of is fueling, injection and boost control.

I have some decent motor bike injectors mounted in a custom high flow fuel rail which I think are 400cc will this be over kill on a 1.6/1.7 engine? Or will the ecu be able to control them without any issues? If I can't use these what injectors would be more suited to my needs?

What do I need to do about fuel regulators and fuel pumps, will I need to ugrade my stock items (which are probally getting on a bit now!).

Finally what is the best way to safely and accuratly control boost pressures?

Any help much appreciated, I've got a fair bit of experience with superchargers and bike engines, but this turbo malarky is all new to me!

JR20516V

Yes Nathan you will have to upgrade all those things mentioned m8.

Fuel reg should be adjustable. Sard brand is very good...mid range before getting into big money.

Fuel pump...try a 300 or 400 hp Bosch motorsport one...they can be purchased to fit straight into a 205.

Also Walbro are good .

Boost controller....if you have plenty of dosh you could go the electonic boost control...they work good but still have their problems tho. Or you can just get a T piece controller [Turbosmart brand 45 quid ] and have a red trigger under your steering wheel...boost or no boost.

I find the best one is also the cheapest...Turbotech brand [Ebay ] approx. 12 quid and holds boost like a gem.

Hope that helps,

JR

TEKNOPUG

What turbo are you using and how much boost do you plan to run?

Nathan

It's a T25 and wasn't planning to go daft on the boost, originally it was going to be 6-8 psi, but as the spec of the build has increased I was hoping to be able to run slightly more boost.

However mega power isn't really what I'm after, I'd much rather have something which is driveable and realiable.

TEKNOPUG

I presume that the DTA can control both ignition and fueling? In that case, dont bother with machining the pistons. Standard pistons can cope with around 12psi if properly set up with decent management. Forged pistons will have no problems whatsoever. Plus you get better driveability and more power if you retain the standard compression. You can use your custom high flow rail (although is it somewhat overkill for just 7psi). However, the standard system with just uprated injectors (Rover T16s, Saab red-tops etc) will easily cope with your application. Ditto the fuel pump.

You dont mention how you plan to control the ignition. Do you have a toothed flywheel to take a reading from and then use a coilpack? This is the best way IMHO. Or you can use a crank sensor pick up if its easier. Definitely worth investing in some high quality, custom HT leads. Run some colder plugs too.

If its a T25 turbo, I presume that it has an internal wastegate? In which case, just adjust the boost using the actuator rod. If the DTA allows/can control the boost electronic. This would be the preferable way as it allows greater flexibility when mapping and allows you to change maps on the fly etc.

Nathan

This is what the ECU can do:

Full Ignition control and amplification for up to 4 cylinders distributorless, 8 cyl with distributor

Full fuel control of up to 16 injectors (staged and switchable on RPM in 2 banks )

Amplified Coils Support NEW

Compensation for air temp / water temp / MAP or barometric pressure on fuel AND ignition

Closed loop Lambda control

Turn off closed loop above TPS & RPM NEW

Full turbo pressure control variable by RPM with overboost protection

Manifold Pressure as main load NEW

Full single gear traction control (launch control)

Steering wheel button controlled start line RPM limit

Full power shift cut

Temperature dependant Idle speed control via PWM valve (shared second bank of injectors)

Auxiliary output switchable on RPM / water temp / manifold pressure (shared turbo control)

Dedicated shift light output

Dedicated Tacho output

Two stage main RPM limiter

Dedicated fuel pump control

Full startup fuelling map

Improved idle speed control NEW

Throttle transient enrichment map

Self test facilities for ignition and injection

Sensor diagnostics and peak recording

Real time mapping, no EPROM's required, PC only or PC+Dyno Control Box

Voltage in warning limits during Mapping NEW

Software programmable for most crank wheels (BMW, Ford, GM, Porsche, Renault, Honda Blackbird, Rover, VW, 361, 602 etc.)

All main 3D maps (20 x 14) have user programmable break points on throttle and RPM

I would like to ditch the dizzy, if I do this what do I need to do ? Do I have to run a coilpack per cylinder and then let the ECU control the firing of the plugs and injectors? I so where would be best place to source said coilpacks from?

I was planning to use a crank sensor (a pug one came with the ECU loom). Not sure how I go about fitting this to my engine though???

I'm also getting a custom downpipe made which will have provision for a lambda sensor.

Will also email Allan from DTA tomorrow, hopefully he'll point me in the direction of which sensors and such like I'll be needing.

TEKNOPUG

Go to the home page of this forum and look at the Emerald TT project.

Should answer most of your questions.

Sign in to follow this