• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

1.9 D/shafts To 1.6 Engine?

Can anyone tell me if 1.9 driveshafts will fit a 1.6 engine?

Thanks

Pete

Nathan

They will, but you'll need 1.9 hubs as well.

They will, but you'll need 1.9 hubs as well.

- I'll be getting the hubs anyway - as I want to fit bigger brakes (307 type). In the meantime though, I don't suppose 1.6 calipers/yokes will fit 1.9 hubs?

Thanks!

Pete

pug_ham
In the meantime though, I don't suppose 1.6 calipers/yokes will fit 1.9 hubs?

Yes they will but you'll have to use the 1.9 discs.

Graham.

VisaGTi16v

Are the 1.9 calipers actually any better? They use the same size discs as the 1.6 so I am curious as to why they changed them for the 1.9's which required different bolt spacing in the hubs

jonah
Are the 1.9 calipers actually any better? They use the same size discs as the 1.6 so I am curious as to why they changed them for the 1.9's which required different bolt spacing in the hubs

Depends who you ask, the 1.6 calipers are lighter as they are made of aluminium (or some kind of alloy) compared to steel for the 1.9 calipers...

However the 1.9 ones are a much better design and do not suffer the wear problems that the 1.6's do. They are both single piston sliding caliper designs but the 1.6 calipers put huge forces through the sliding sleeves and these eventually wear (or stretch?), causing the caliper to no longer line up with the disc. This then causes the pads to wear to a taper, resulting in clonks from the brakes when reversing, squeal, longer pedal travel, creaking noises and brake drag. The 1.9 calipers put all the load through a rigid frame and the sliders are under practically no load, so they don't have those problems.

In terms of outright performance there is no difference... both have 48mm pistons, disc diameter and thickness is the same, pad area similar enough to make no odds. 1.6 and 1.9 calipers are a direct swap on both types of hub & hub carrier, the bolt spacing is also the same.

thanks for clarifying

as per my wanted thread though, i think for now I'm just going to put a 1.6 shaft on, as it needs it quickly!

VisaGTi16v

Thanks. I have seen some of those issues with a number of 1.6 calipers ive had! Should really hurry up and get the remaining bits off a 309 I need to use the longer wishbones ive had sitting around for ages! :)

Grim.Badger

If it helps all the XU engined, BE gearboxed driveshafts will fit apart from the 1.9 (and possible ABS though I'm not sure why), diesel shafts are normally the easiest to find.

Sign in to follow this