• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Car Dosent Want To Stop

djinuk

I am havign a problem with my 205 xs, when turning the engien of it seems to continue to run for a few seconds, i have been told the dizzy is to advanced but no matter how mch i retard it the problem persists? could there be another explanation ?

hengti

do these engines have anti run-on valves?

johnnyboy666

mine occasionally does this on short journeys when its cold with the choke out

Casanova

Too lean?

TKH

It often happens if the car is running rich and much more so if its running a bit hot. I have seen once one that had lost all its water in a sprint that when it was turned off then engine just would not stop, even though it did sound like it was going to expire any second. Needles to say that engine was dinned after that. If your cars running ok and not getting hot and both the water and oil look good I would get the O2 probe stuck up the exhaust and see whats going on.

swordfish210

this is called "Dieseling" where the internals of the engine get so hot and if the mixture is too rich the engine starts to run like a diesel engine i.e. no spark required just compression ignition. I would get the carb set up properly.

Edited by swordfish210

hengti

from what little i understand, there are numerous possible causes - least helpful being that the engine's coked up

if having the carb/ign timing set up properly doesn't help, you could install an anti run-on valve (having to assume that these engines weren't fitted with them - ? if they were, yours will be missing/broken!)

all they are is a solenoid valve that's plumbed into the intake vacuum - they operate when they detect running on and effectively stall the engine. generally easy to fit too

Edited by hengti

DamirGTI

Hi !

Heavy carbon build up inside the engine (especially in the inlet ports and valves)- maybe :blink:

cheers

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

djinuk

heads been rebuilt recenyl so shud be nothing on the valves hardly, im guessing its the carb . advice much appreciated

Sign in to follow this