• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest oxtobyd

Must Pass Mot, But Washer Motor Not Working, Help

Guest oxtobyd

Hi all, i've finally got my long term 205 project ready for going through its MOT, but i can't get the front washer motor to play ball, here's where i'm at so far:

i have 5+ V going to the washer when stalk not pulled in

with stalk pulled in then get +12v to the motor (but no life from the motor)

if i connect the motor direct to a battery then i get life to the motor...

i'm now out of ideas as to what the problem is, since it can't be the stalk since i can see it jump from 5v to 12v on the multimeter, i'm guessing it can't be the motor since it work if direct connected to the battery.

any ideas before the poor girl will no doubt be failed becuase of this one simple thing?

cheers all.

Richie-Van-GTi

it shouldnt have 5v with stalk off, it should be zero, sounds to me like a broken wire or earth fault somewhere.

jackherer

Sounds like a bad earth to me, IIRC the washers are grounded behind the pass side headlight, next to the rad.

Guest oxtobyd
it shouldnt have 5v with stalk off, it should be zero, sounds to me like a broken wire or earth fault somewhere.

oooh, now not been very electrical minded, where would u suggest would be a good place to start in trying to track this down??

cheers

Guest oxtobyd
Sounds like a bad earth to me, IIRC the washers are grounded behind the pass side headlight, next to the rad.

sorry, but what is IIRC? :P

pacey205

If I Recal Correctly

Edited by pacey205

pugbliss

i have exactly the same prob and ive no idea as of yet why. my stalk works as does the jet motor just like oxtobyd so i will be watching this very closly till i get it fixed...if i do ill let you know.

jackherer

Now I think about this I have had the same symptoms (pump works, and 12v appears to be present at the plug) and it was corrosion on the plug itself, the multimeter probes cut through it but the pump connectors didn't. I just crimped on new spade connectors and it was fine.

Anthony
Now I think about this I have had the same symptoms (pump works, and 12v appears to be present at the plug) and it was corrosion on the plug itself, the multimeter probes cut through it but the pump connectors didn't. I just crimped on new spade connectors and it was fine.

More often than not that's what I find when the washers don't work.

16v205

Corrosion on the inside of the spade terminals in the plug is common. Also find the wiring snaps right at the beginning of the spade terminal through corrosion. As been mentioned above chopping the plug off and crimping a new pair of spades wouldnt be a bad start.

Rich

pugbliss

done that and still a problem

Guest oxtobyd
done that and still a problem

yep same here, and no luck, odd?

i even took a lead straight from the '-' on the motor to the earth on the car and also tried direct back to the battery '-' but still no luck, not sure if somehow tied into the fact the wipers don't do the usuall 3 swipes, and all part of same problem, check the fuse and fine, and the relay seems to work, since the wipers work fine normally, unless there is an extra relax to control the 3-swipes and this also effect the pump?? if not then looks like i'll need to either run a pipe from the rear pump or wire in a switch straight to the battery and pump???

well its in for its MOT now, so will no doubt fail, but the guys there may find a quick fix, here's hoping.

Dave

Furiousd

I have the same problem with my 205 although it does work intermitantly which leads me to a wiring problem. When the washers don't squirt the wipers don't move either so I guess they're connected with the same (Dodgy) wiring.

Let me know how you get on please and if you can point me in the right direction of where I check for the wiring that would be great too.

Cheers

Chris

pugbliss

i think ive narrowed it down to the wiper stalk....

Baz

Wiper stalk is another common failure too yes. :)

Anthony

Quick way to tell is that if it's the stalk, the wipers won't move and you won't get any fluid, whereas if it's the motor/connection then the wipers will move but you'll get no fluid

(it's not foolproof though, as I discovered that my friends 205 1.1 for some reason doesn't move the wipers when you use the washers and hence nearly had me barking up the wrong tree... :))

Dream Weaver

Mine was intermittent last week, so before the MOT I took the stalk out and dismantled it - the contacts inside were filthy so I cleaned them up and now all works as it should.

Its a crap setup how the switch works inside the stalk as well.

pugbliss

Dream Weaver, how did you do this???

Dream Weaver

Just remove the lower cowling, undo the 2 screws holding the stalk in place, then twist it about until it comes out.

Remove the loom plugs, then carefully remove the 3 metal lugs holding the unit together - clean everything up with wire wool and then re-assemble it.

It's a pain though, as there are a few springs inside that you need to keep held together, and getting the clips back on is a nightmare. It worked though and sailed through the MOT :)

Simes

Also as Keiron mentioned worth cleaning up the earths mounted behind the headlamp as this will sort out a host of future issues...including dim headlamps.

Lots of threads on this.

Edited by Simes

pugbliss

cheers for the how to dream weaver.

simes.... are you talking about the earth where the yellow connetors push onto a funny mulit prong thing??? if so what things are earthed here?

cheers all

Sign in to follow this