• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Grp "a" 8v Engine

driversdomainuk

Hi

Just seen this on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Could be a possible option in my quest for more power.

How much should I put my max bid in for should I decide to have a go..?

Is 178bhp realistic for what he is suggesting has been done...?

I have asked him the question, but also want a neutral view also - esp. emmissions etc (for a road legal car)

cheers

smckeown

i douby he's getting that much power really, without TBs that's a very high figure to achieve. Ask him who did the head

DaveK

Id be wanting to see the print out, 178 seems high but not unrealistic.

The engine management must be contributing a huge chunk of that power increase since alot of people uprate heads and cams and only see 15-20bhp increases

There are a good few on here who have built proper 8v race engines and they will be able to let you know if it sounds about right

driversdomainuk
Id be wanting to see the print out, 178 seems high but not unrealistic.

The engine management must be contributing a huge chunk of that power increase since alot of people uprate heads and cams and only see 15-20bhp increases

There are a good few on here who have built proper 8v race engines and they will be able to let you know if it sounds about right

well, if I get it for a low price (i.e under £400) I could always take the head off, add it to my 8v (which is fully rebuilt and highly reliable) and sell in internals off on their own..

Doof

Surely it'll go for much more...forged pistons cost that!...and a properly done head twice that!

driversdomainuk
Surely it'll go for much more...forged pistons cost that!...and a properly done head twice that!

True, but you rarely get back anywhere near what you have spent on an engine when it comes to selling it. You could go and spend £800 on getting the head sorted and on a car worth £2000, but you would only add £100 maybe £200 max to its value.

Not that we do these things for an investment anyway! :D

TT205

One word of warning - this guy only has 1 feedback and has only been registered since 11th May

His ad doesn't sound like ebay is new to him, in fact it reads as if he does this all the time - I'm suspicious .....

The one and only time I got burned on ebay was with a guy with a feedback of 3, he was in the habit of selling a few things then de-registering, then popping up under a new name a month later

BE CAREFUL

PS - 178BHP on standard plenum! and pulling to 8,500! - I don't think so

I don't care what the printout says - whose car was it (if it's genuinely got that much power it was built for racing), who did the head and was the printout actually for that engine (if so - are their figures reliable?)

Has the claimed work even been done? - how are you going to tell?

Dave

Edited by TT205

Rik

Have you looked at what else he's selling? Looks like he's stripped a Group A car to me...

Not everyone is a numpty, you dont have to have used e-bay to write a good ad. And the plenum aint standard.

This guy looks genuine - if your going to win the bid then it will be cash on delivery so it can be checked then.

Rik

danpug

Cash on delivery is safe at least, i wouldnt trust the power figures though.

TT205

You can't stand there and take the head off to check before you buy it though

He does seem to have some good stuff for sale - but he makes it sound like he bought it, not that it was his

driversdomainuk
You can't stand there and take the head off to check before you buy it though

He does seem to have some good stuff for sale - but he makes it sound like he bought it, not that it was his

well there is no harm in looking and seeing how the price goes

JamesLumley

he is also on the forum - fxi1900

only know as i was intersted in his fuel tank which is up for sale in the parts section.

Baz

Maybe he'll post in here then! :D

Super Josh

Hopefully, as he's just been reading this topic :D

Josh

niklas

My tought as well, that combined with the smooth idling.

I'd say smooth idling on standard plenum manifold and having a cam that pulls to 8500 is physically impossible. At least without some sort of VVT/VTEC.

fxi1900
One word of warning - this guy only has 1 feedback and has only been registered since 11th May

His ad doesn't sound like ebay is new to him, in fact it reads as if he does this all the time - I'm suspicious .....

The one and only time I got burned on ebay was with a guy with a feedback of 3, he was in the habit of selling a few things then de-registering, then popping up under a new name a month later

BE CAREFUL

I don't care what the printout says - whose car was it (if it's genuinely got that much power it was built for racing), who did the head and was the printout actually for that engine (if so - are their figures reliable?)

Has the claimed work even been done? - how are you going to tell?

Dave

Dave if your that clever i will set a challenge to you, You pay me £1000 for the motor then dyno it, if it is not what it says then you can have your money back, But please if you are not interested in purchasing such an engine then i suggest you keep you doubts to yourself. It does indeed rev to 8500 as i have done it and yes the rev counter was a quality one (£200 eliot item)I have been breaking and selling peugeot rally /track cars for many years now and one thing i can tell is how an engine performs. I run a very simple motor myself (162bhp on 45s) and was blown away when i drove this car. I was tempted to keep this motor and use it but its too highmaintenance for me, I simply can't afford it. I only have 1 feedback due to some idiot hijacking my 132 feedback account and Ebay putting it on hold and I have the printout right here in front of me with the cars registration and i also have pics of it in the car with that registration. I am more than willing to strip the motor to anyone who wants to buy it as long as their money is on the table. I don't know who built it but why has it got to be someone special to build it????? Why can't the guy in the street build it and get the same results? Think about it asda does the same with baked beans.

niklas
Dave if your that clever i will set a challenge to you, You pay me £1000 for the motor then dyno it, if it is not what it says then you can have your money back, But please if you are not interested in purchasing such an engine then i suggest you keep you doubts to yourself. It does indeed rev to 8500 as i have done it and yes the rev counter was a quality one (£200 eliot item)I have been breaking and selling peugeot rally /track cars for many years now and one thing i can tell is how an engine performs. I run a very simple motor myself (162bhp on 45s) and was blown away when i drove this car. I was tempted to keep this motor and use it but its too highmaintenance for me, I simply can't afford it. I only have 1 feedback due to some idiot hijacking my 132 feedback account and Ebay putting it on hold and I have the printout right here in front of me with the cars registration and i also have pics of it in the car with that registration. I am more than willing to strip the motor to anyone who wants to buy it as long as their money is on the table. I don't know who built it but why has it got to be someone special to build it????? Why can't the guy in the street build it and get the same results? Think about it asda does the same with baked beans.

Can you tell us which cam it is running then?

I challenge you to explain to us how it can be pulling to 8500 with smooth idling on the standard plenum intake!

TT205

It's nothing personal mate

You have explained why you have no feedback - and I was right that you are not new to ebay so without that knowledge I was right to be suspicious

I got burned for over a grand - you don't forget that and are a lot more careful next time!

It's all very well telling me to keep my nose out but it's quite a tight community on this forum as you know and we try to watch out for each other

By the same token - as and when people on this forum find that you are ok - you will get no end of business off this forum if you are regularly stripping race/rally cars

Dave

fxi1900
Can you tell us which cam it is running then?

I challenge you to explain to us how it can be pulling to 8500 with smooth idling on the standard plenum intake!

I don't need to be challenged either you want to buy it or you don't, Please read my description carefully it will tell you the make of cam and who said it idles smoothly???? I certainly haven't!!! I am not out to "rip" people off so can you please not make judgements. The spec sheet i have with the engine even says it has a Group "A" crank but as that is a very grey area i have not put it in the advert so i hope whoever buys this will be suprised rather than dissapointed.

Now please do something uselful and try to find ulrika jonson and get her back on tv.

Batfink

shes a minger now. Look for a nice younger lass to oggle at :)

fxi1900
shes a minger now. Look for a nice younger lass to oggle at ;)

B) Gutted! What about Aneka rice? :)

niklas
Now please do something uselful and try to find ulrika jonson and get her back on tv.

I'll trade!

You send me Ms Faria Alam and I'll make sure Ulrika gets back on tv!

fxi1900
I'll trade!

You send me Ms Faria Alam and I'll make sure Ulrika gets back on tv!

Done! ;)

Batfink

technical question. Were you using the twin plate group A clutch? I have one and it same with a bloody heavy iron flywheel which is cast with lots of holes in. Wondering if you have a billet steel one?

welshpug

you don't happen to be a Lloyd do you? up in Oakdale?

Sign in to follow this