• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huzzer

Oil Temps And Charging Problem Mi16

huzzer

The Mi16 has had its first outing this weekend. Everything seemed fine but after the oil is warm the pressure drops to the first bar! Its on the third bar when the revs are higher but as soon as you back off to slower driving it drops right off. Is this normal?

Also, i'm getting 13.85 volts when the engine is running and 12.45 not running. The battery is new but it wont start the engine. It wont even turn the engine over! 13.85 would surely mean its charging sufficiently?

Any ideas??

Mikey G

Oil pressure could be down to what oil you are using, if pressure was low on tickover the light would appear anyway so it doesnt sound seriously low.

Those voltages are fine, maybe you have another wiring problem for the car not to crank over? Check your earths and starter connections.

huzzer

Thanks Mikey.

I'll check over the connections.

As with oil i'll probably change it before I go to Brands on Thursday. Any recommendations, something fully synthetic? 15w/40?

huzzer

Still no joy! Just had to have a push off some kevins in Halfrauds car park!!

Had cleaned up all starting associated connections before I left and it would start no problems. Now it only turns once stops then turns again, giving the symptoms of a flat battery but it isn't that!

Can a dodgy starter motor sound like this or have I missed a connection somewhere?

Mikey G

Sounds like dodgy starter to me.

As for oil just go for a good mineral oil of the correct grade (10W-40??) although i found Valvolene fully synthetic seemed to work well in my friends Mi16.

huzzer

I think its leaning that way! Have another starter of the 1.6 I pulled out. I'll try it and see if its any better, if its not, I'm stumped :lol:

Sign in to follow this