• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mos

Air Temp Sensors

mos

Hi

my KMS air temp sensor has one kaput, this is the second sensor i have had from KMS and they do not seem to be lasting too long.

this one went the same way as the first, progressively failing from not registering with air temps above 60c gradually reducing down to air temps above 25c before finally giving up the ghost entirely.

i want to buy a non KMS replacement. something thats a bit more robust and will last.

now i do seem to remember that matt sav when he replaced the sensor the first time said they where a fairly standard bosch item to NTC standard, but i am not well up on this stuff at all so had no idea what he was talking about.

so i though i would just go to an automotive electrical trade supplier and ask for one.

i expaline the situation r non standard injection etc which he seemed to know a bit about but he did not seem to know what i was talking about regarding the sensor, did not know the term NTC and showed me a catalogue with a whole host of different air temp sensors all with different resistances.

i did not have the sensor with me at the time to give him any codes off it but even if i had i dont think it would of helped.

the numbers on the KMS sensor are 6E and 5061

DTA are just down the road from me and do a more robust sensor (well thats what they claim) than the KMS one for £22, not the £7 the KMS is but if it going to be reliable its probably worth paying but i have no idea if is compatible in terms of resistant values etc

can anyone help with this and steer me in the direction of somewhere i can get another more reliable sensor from thats going to read correct with my KMS ECU?

thanks

mark

petert

I just made an air temp sensor using an LM335. It's not even rocket science. That may not work for you however. Here's the GM sensor which Haltech uses. If that's close there's probably a heap at the local wreckers.

post-2864-1179660904_thumb.jpg

Sandy

Lucas SNB802 is widely used and easy and cheap to source. Has pretty much the same curve as the 2.4k Bosch.

Scottieb

NTC means Negative Temperature Coeficient. this means that the sensor resistance decreases as the temperature rises.

You just have to find antother sensor witht the same resistances at given temperatures as yours. if you lookt at the datasheet for the sensor it should give you a graph of resistance plotted against temperature. KMS should be able to give you this information for thier sensor. Then you just have to find another sensor witht the same curve.

Here are the sensors I use, I've never had any probs:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Passive+Componen...jsp?sku=7119100

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Passive+Componen...jsp?sku=7119094

Sign in to follow this