• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Running Rough.....

matty_gti
upss , sorry a little misunderstanding regarding that subject i've read something wrong :P

cheers B)

Damir

lol, no worries mate, i was like ' :P '

Edited by matty_gti

matty_gti

Right, after a day of tinkering i decided to swap my current dizzy for one i had just polished up and 'sold' (cheque cleard today), it had fairly new leads, a cap and arm. I gave the plugs a quick wire brushing and put it all together.....when i started her up it was running ok.....still made that lumpy noise for about a minute or so but wasent that bad, after that......it was sweet as a nut!!! :) , i continued to play with the ign timing and idle and i got it to idle dead on 1K...Awesome!!!!!....the only down side is i then had to take the dizzy off and send it off to its new owner and now try to figure out how to cure this slight exhaust blow i have....any way......Thanks for the helps chaps!!!. B)

DamirGTI

Hi !

I'm glad to hear you're fix that B) (on less painfoul way :) )

cheers

Damir

Arahan

Glad you sorted it!

matty_gti

Jsut one more q ;) , how would i set up the idle?....is it wind the screw all the way in then 2 and a half turns out?.

Thanks.

DamirGTI

Hi !

Well you have 2 screws , one big copper screw on top of the throttle body and little one at the back next to throttle leaver .

But first try onley with that big copper screw (turn in to decrecase idle speed and out to increase) before that adjustment you must set ignition timming and i would sugesst that you clean troughly inside the TB (around the butterfly , also take that copper screw out clean him and all holes in TB with some carb cleaner , tooth brush is wery handy tool for this job :blink: ) and clean inside the AFM ... then after cleaning set idle speed .

If you can't set it good enough onley with that copper screw (roughly it must be around 900-1000rmp when warm..)then you must do that togheader with little screw at the back , procedure is as follows :

Warm engine first up to normal temp. (indicated when cooling fan has cuts in and out twice)

Stop the engine and turn big copper air screw fully in .

Prise the tamperproof cap from little screw at the back , unscrew him out and then back inside until it just toches the throttle leaver (it's throttle stop screw..) , then tighten a further four complete turns .

Start the engine and turn that screw to obtain an idle speed of 600rmp .

When you set idle at 600rmp with small screw turn big copper screw as necessery to obtain idle speed of 900-1000rmp (more or less what ever you like ..)

Stop the engine and after this you must reset the TP-switch , procedure sa follows :

Slacken the two throttle screws

Turn the switch fully clockwise, then go slowly back until you hear it "clicks" stop on that position and tight the screws .

Pull the connector out and connect the multimeter (set scale for "ohm" mesurment..) between terminals 2 and 18 in the switch , the multimeter should read zero ohms (throttle closed) , then fully open the throttle and multimeter should read infinity .

Connect the multimeter to terminals 3 and 18 the readings must be infinity (throttle closed), fully open the throttle and readings must be zero ohms .

If the readings are not correct readjust the switch position as above .

(note that you have three terminals in throtte switch 3 18 2)

hope this helps :P

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

grandos

I would have just checked that the throttle position switch clicked as the throttle is moved off of the closed position personally, therefore showing the throttle stop screw is in the correct position. I would then adjust the idle control screw to set the idle roughly at around 800-1000rpm, after this the mixture screw (under the tamper proof cap on the AFM) needs adjustment whilst using a CO meter to set the mixture correctly (between 1.5 and 2.0 depending on state of tune) (2.0 being richer/higher tuned engine)(personally I set it at around 1.6 for a standard engine) at the same time as adjusting the idle speed again.

Correct me if I'm wrong cause Ive had a few beers now and am consolling myself after the football! *&%$£")(!!!!!

matty_gti
I would have just checked that the throttle position switch clicked as the throttle is moved off of the closed position personally, therefore showing the throttle stop screw is in the correct position. I would then adjust the idle control screw to set the idle roughly at around 800-1000rpm, after this the mixture screw (under the tamper proof cap on the AFM) needs adjustment whilst using a CO meter to set the mixture correctly (between 1.5 and 2.0 depending on state of tune) (2.0 being richer/higher tuned engine)(personally I set it at around 1.6 for a standard engine) at the same time as adjusting the idle speed again.

Correct me if I'm wrong cause Ive had a few beers now and am consolling myself after the football! *&%$£")(!!!!!

Haha :ph34r: , ive checked the clicking of the switch and it does click...your not to drunk to give a wrong answer!

grandos
Haha :ph34r: , ive checked the clicking of the switch and it does click...your not to drunk to give a wrong answer!

Half the above information (pin numbers etc.) I'm pretty sure comes from the infamous haynes manual but it's just easier to check the noise in real life!!

Where abouts in surrey are you cause I'm borrowing a mates CO meter next week if it helps and I'm in Chertsey if you need a hand (I'll be sober by then!!)

Ben

matty_gti
Half the above information (pin numbers etc.) I'm pretty sure comes from the infamous haynes manual but it's just easier to check the noise in real life!!

Where abouts in surrey are you cause I'm borrowing a mates CO meter next week if it helps and I'm in Chertsey if you need a hand (I'll be sober by then!!)

Ben

Yeah that would be helpfull, im in leatherhead. I will be getting my K&N next week so can finaly put on an AFM without allways taking it off my other car. When do you think next week?.

Cheers

DamirGTI

Ben

Hi !

Yes it's from the Haynes book :( .. if you set the switch by ear that dosn't mean that its setted correct - better to check that with multimeter :D

cheers

Damir

grandos
Yeah that would be helpfull, im in leatherhead. I will be getting my K&N next week so can finaly put on an AFM without allways taking it off my other car. When do you think next week?.

Cheers

As soon as I've got the CO meter I'll PM you to arrange a time, I imagine either wednesday or thursday if you can on either day?

matty_gti
Hi !

Yes it's from the Haynes book :) .. if you set the switch by ear that dosn't mean that its setted correct - better to check that with multimeter :unsure:

cheers

Damir

How do i check it with the multimeter?.

Thanks.

As soon as I've got the CO meter I'll PM you to arrange a time, I imagine either wednesday or thursday if you can on either day?

Either is fine by me :D

Edited by matty_gti

DamirGTI

Hi !

- Slacken the two throttle screws

Turn the switch fully clockwise, then go slowly back until you hear it "clicks" stop on that position and tight the screws .

Pull the connector out and connect the multimeter (set scale for "ohm" mesurment..) between terminals 2 and 18 in the switch , the multimeter should read zero ohms (throttle closed) , then fully open the throttle and multimeter should read infinity .

Connect the multimeter to terminals 3 and 18 the readings must be infinity (throttle closed), fully open the throttle and readings must be zero ohms .

If the readings are not correct readjust the switch position as above .

(note that you have three terminals in throtte switch 3 18 2) -

As i sad it's from the Haynes book but nothing wrong with that procedure :unsure: anyway it's the same as in OE peugeot service book for XU engines ..

have fun :D

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

Sign in to follow this