• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Running Rough.....

matty_gti

Hello.....well after forgetting that i even own this car i finally had a day when i can see to it hopefully getting it running ok so i can drive it to the MOT.....it runs but its just very lumpy.....sounds liek a miss fire or wrong fueling but i really dont know.

If you watch the vid can any of you guess what the problem is or suggest what i need to do/change?.....

Thats a lawnmower in the backround for the 2nd vid.

Thanks.

Edited by matty_gti

gti-si

Need to edit the second link and remove the "......thats" from it mate.

Help wise I havn't got a clue, im the wrong guy to help :). Is it only running on 2 cylinders when you first start it up?

Edited by gti-si

matty_gti
Need to edit the second link and remove the "......thats" from it mate.

Help wise I havn't got a clue, im the wrong guy to help :wacko:. Is it only running on 2 cylinders when you first start it up?

haha, ta very much.......well when i try to start it the revs are really low untill above 500RPM and basically the lower the revs the worse it is.

I can just hold the revs at 2K and slowly move up to 4K and its ok.....i changed the AFM and it made little difference. :)

DamirGTI

Hi !

Sounds like missfire to me :) , did you check plugs (what colour are they ?), leads , dissy cap and arm ? it can be loads of stuff :wacko: AFM also ;) ..

Is the car running rich - black smoke on exhaust ? :D

Damir

gti-si

the cars going to be very unhappy at idling below 750 - 800? at 500rpm id imagine youd have a hard time running any 205. There's definatly a problem though, nothing to do with your fuel mixture? Is the ignition timing alright? and its set up for the fuel your using? Other than that i'd check all the injectors are spraying properly and the dizzy is'nt faulty etc....basic procedure, im sh*t at this stuff though, never played with engines. Got to learn all this stuff :)

Edited by gti-si

matty_gti
Hi !

Sounds like missfire to me :) , did you check plugs (what colour are they ?), leads , dissy cap and arm ? it can be loads of stuff :wacko: AFM also ;) ..

Is the car running rich - black smoke on exhaust ? :D

Damir

I thought it was missfire, but wasent certain.....I havent checked the dizzy ect allthough the ignition timimig is ok. I will replace the dizzy, arm, cap, leads and coil with my spares i have.....or swap them over from my running GTi to test.

I havent checked the plugs.........i will ASAP though and post pics so you can have a looky.

Didnt look at the exhaust.

Just to add it is a replacement engine.

the cars going to be very unhappy at idling below 750 - 800? at 500rpm id imagine youd have a hard time running any 205. There's definatly a problem though, nothing to do with your fuel mixture? Is the ignition timing alright? and its set up for the fuel your using? Other than that i'd check all the injectors are spraying properly and the dizzy is'nt faulty etc....basic procedure, im sh*t at this stuff though, never played with engines. Got to learn all this stuff

Its just on start up, when i start it it idles at bout 500-800 RPM only for a second before picking up to bout 1500 - 1600 RPM.

Edited by matty_gti

DamirGTI

yes , try simple things first like leads change (most likly to be leads :) ) dissy cap etc. :wacko:

as for weak idle maybe just SAD needs adjustment , and clean inside the throttle body and all around idle speed screw with some carb cleaner ..

take some time for a weekend and clean the AFM inside , TB also , breather hoses free from carbon deposits .. and reset idle speed after that :D

cheers ;)

Damir

Arahan

Does the car when driving sometimes feel like its returning to a normal state? i.e. sound etc? Because a previous 205 I had did a similar thing. Try taking the leads out and looking in the holes, in my old 205 there used to be fluid in there! Soak it up with some tissue on a screwdriver or something and it went back to normal!

Arahan

Just watched your videos (i didnt before my 1st reply, just read the description!) and that noise is the exact same as mine! Really hope you try my solution before any of the trickier ones, as it always seems to be the smaller things causing the problems, yet they are the ones that are over-looked and not checked 1st!

gti-si

How did the fluid get there? :huh:

Arahan
How did the fluid get there? :huh:

Who knows! Something leaking.... Moisture from under bonnet evaporating when the engine was hot, then cooling when the engines not running and seeping in.... no idea!

gti-si

Aslong as it was water then all good haha

Arahan

I think it was but didnt check! Stupidly touched it though and 'twas boiling! lol!

matty_gti
Does the car when driving sometimes feel like its returning to a normal state? i.e. sound etc? Because a previous 205 I had did a similar thing. Try taking the leads out and looking in the holes, in my old 205 there used to be fluid in there! Soak it up with some tissue on a screwdriver or something and it went back to normal!

Hi, how do you mean returning to a normal state?, i can hold the revs at say 3500 RPM and it will sound fine.

And do you mean the wholes where the plugs are?.

Thanks for the input chaps!

Richie-Van-GTi

take each spark plug lead off one by one and start it up inbetween each one. Find out which pot is causing the problem, then work from there.

usual suspects, lead, sparkie, injector, injector wire plug, dizzy, rotor. It sounds like one pot isnt firing which at higher RPM isnt as noticeable.

Arahan

Yep, plug holes!

I mean, lower down it sounds rough, yet higher up it sounds normal! As in its bad low down, but seems to sound normal higher up the rev range.

simonb

Have you checked the cam timing? Sounds like it could be too retarded to me?? Also try a different AFM if you have one lying around as these can also make the motor sound like this if they are buggered.

HTH

Arahan

Any results from this??

matty_gti
Any results from this??

Well i took all the plugs out yesterday ( No fluid to be seen :( ) and they are coverd in black carbon, ill post some pics up later.

Thanks for the help.

gti-si
Well i took all the plugs out yesterday ( No fluid to be seen :( ) and they are coverd in black carbon, ill post some pics up later.

Thanks for the help.

That would make me think your running your motor too rich

simonb

It that case, my bet would be on the AFM being duff, as these cause the car to massively overfuel when they are not working. Try another one and run some redex through the tank to clear off the carbon build up.

Edited by simonb

matty_gti
It that case, my bet would be on the AFM being duff, as these cause the car to massively overfuel when they are not working. Try another one and run some redex through the tank to clear off the carbon build up.

The only thing is that ive taken the AFM off my 1.6 (white one in my pic) i drive everyday and fitted it to this one so i dont think that the AFM is the fault.

Here ar the plugs....

DSC00416.jpg.

take each spark plug lead off one by one and start it up inbetween each one. Find out which pot is causing the problem, then work from there.

usual suspects, lead, sparkie, injector, injector wire plug, dizzy, rotor. It sounds like one pot isnt firing which at higher RPM isnt as noticeable.

......This sounds like a plan however if one of the injectors/wiring was at fault wouldnt i notice an odd one out with the spark plugs because of the wrong fueling in the cylinder?.

Edited by matty_gti

DamirGTI

Hi

Have u try with another leads ? dissy cap-rotor arm ?

Looks like rich mixture :D , they must be brown to gray coloured around the insulator nose similar to these (allthou these ones are also a little rich running plugs..) :

Picture011-3.jpg

AFM from 1.6 on 1.9 engine is not a good solution :P , i've had 1.6 AFM on my 1.9 engine and had a lot problems regarding engine set-up (fueling and idle speed) as 1.6 AFM can't communicate properly with 1.9 ECU , don't get me wrong this combo will run but not so good , it's not recommended for longer period ..

If you like try adjusting the sping tension inside the AFM , but be VERY CAREFUL - mark initial position on toothed wheel first and then tight the spring for one teeth at a time , in between start the engine and see if it helps (you must turn clockwise to lean the mixture - opposite of that turn anti-clockwise to richen the mixture , and pull out the AFM connector each time when you make adjustment then plug back when finisht so that ECU can reset itself between the adjustments..) after this (if ti dosn't helps) return the spring tension back to initial position which you've mark before adjustment . (don't forget to reseal AFM cover with sealent ;) )

Also try with new temp. sensor (blue connector under the dissy) this sensor can richen the mixture badly if it's broken ... , and try with some other spare injectors if u have ..

hope this helps ;)

Damir

EDIT: or you can try adjusting the idle mixture with a little bolt on AFM (if you have Jetronic system) but also count the amount of turns so that you can go back from where you are started - turn out to lean the mixture ( in for richen the mixture ..)

Edited by DamirGTI

matty_gti
Hi

Have u try with another leads ? dissy cap-rotor arm ?

Looks like rich mixture :D , they must be brown to gray coloured around the insulator nose similar to these (allthou these ones are also a little rich running plugs..) :

Picture011-3.jpg

AFM from 1.6 on 1.9 engine is not a good solution :P , i've had 1.6 AFM on my 1.9 engine and had a lot problems regarding engine set-up (fueling and idle speed) as 1.6 AFM can't communicate properly with 1.9 ECU , don't get me wrong this combo will run but not so good , it's not recommended for longer period ..

If you like try adjusting the sping tension inside the AFM , but be VERY CAREFUL - mark initial position on toothed wheel first and then tight the spring for one teeth at a time , in between start the engine and see if it helps (you must turn clockwise to lean the mixture - opposite of that turn anti-clockwise to richen the mixture , and pull out the AFM connector each time when you make adjustment then plug back when finisht so that ECU can reset itself between the adjustments..) after this (if ti dosn't helps) return the spring tension back to initial position which you've mark before adjustment . (don't forget to reseal AFM cover with sealent ;) )

Also try with new temp. sensor (blue connector under the dissy) this sensor can richen the mixture badly if it's broken ... , and try with some other spare injectors if u have ..

hope this helps ;)

Damir

EDIT: or you can try adjusting the idle mixture with a little bolt on AFM (if you have Jetronic system) but also count the amount of turns so that you can go back from where you are started - turn out to lean the mixture ( in for richen the mixture ..)

Well im using a 1.6 AFM on my 1.6, you had me confuesd there :D .

Ill buy a new cap, arm and leads tomorrow and try swapping the dizzy over to see if it makes a difference. If not ill try and adjust the afm like you said. Failing that i thought of the blue sensor, however i might as well swap the whole SAD over with a spare one i have and see if that helps.

Thanks for the ideas, it may take me a while but ill keep the post updated!. Any more idesa would be great!!!!

Cheers.

DamirGTI
Well im using a 1.6 AFM on my 1.6, you had me confuesd there :D .

upss , sorry a little misunderstanding regarding that subject i've read something wrong ;)

cheers :P

Damir

Sign in to follow this