• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kenp

Problems Getting Door To Line Up

kenp

Have an odd problem.

Recently swapped the doors from our P2 spares car on to my gf's 1.9. Old doors fitted fine, new driver's door went on no probs at all. However the passenger side door was a total nightmare. I can't get it to line up properly on back edge - the hinge side (front edge) is adjusted fine to match the body lines but the rear acts like the hinges have dropped and needs to be pushed up by the door catch to fit properly.

Adjusting the door catch down on the body just means the door is too low at the back. I've replaced one of the hinge pins but the other was fine with no play or obvious wear. The new door fitted the other car fine so cant see that it's bent in anyway. And likewise the old door fitted fine too. There is no play visible in the pins even with the door fitted.

I'm at a loss and considering shimming the bottom hinge out where it bolts to the door in order to push the door up and the back - but I know it's shouldn't need this. Anyone else had problems like this?

Really annoying as I have to give the door a bit of a push to close it like this.

Cheers

Ken

steve@cornwall
Have an odd problem.

Recently swapped the doors from our P2 spares car on to my gf's 1.9. Old doors fitted fine, new driver's door went on no probs at all. However the passenger side door was a total nightmare. I can't get it to line up properly on back edge - the hinge side (front edge) is adjusted fine to match the body lines but the rear acts like the hinges have dropped and needs to be pushed up by the door catch to fit properly.

Adjusting the door catch down on the body just means the door is too low at the back. I've replaced one of the hinge pins but the other was fine with no play or obvious wear. The new door fitted the other car fine so cant see that it's bent in anyway. And likewise the old door fitted fine too. There is no play visible in the pins even with the door fitted.

I'm at a loss and considering shimming the bottom hinge out where it bolts to the door in order to push the door up and the back - but I know it's shouldn't need this. Anyone else had problems like this?

Really annoying as I have to give the door a bit of a push to close it like this.

Cheers

Ken

Had similar on my old white gti and put it down to my rear quarter repair (T-boned by a Nissan Sunny :huh: )

I put a length of 4x4 under the door to spread the load and then used a trolley jack under the open corner to "persuade" the door to sit where I wanted it. Judging by the varying amounts of sealant and varying angles of the bottom bolt lug in the inner wing, It doesn't seem unusual to need to adjust the front wing fit to suit the door hanging.

fxi1900
Had similar on my old white gti and put it down to my rear quarter repair (T-boned by a Nissan Sunny :) )

I put a length of 4x4 under the door to spread the load and then used a trolley jack under the open corner to "persuade" the door to sit where I wanted it. Judging by the varying amounts of sealant and varying angles of the bottom bolt lug in the inner wing, It doesn't seem unusual to need to adjust the front wing fit to suit the door hanging.

Yep good ole' trolley jack under the door always works :huh:

TEKNOPUG

You need 2 people to do this properly. Attach the door as normal but leave some slack on the hinge nuts so the position of the car can be adjusted. Sit in the car. Get second person to close door and push it up tight against the body in the exact position that you wish it to be when it's closed. Tighten up hinge nuts from inside the car. Job done.

kenp

Thanks for the replies chaps - surely jacking the door would cause the pins to bend before anything else? Seems a bit dodgy, dont you end up with lots of play?

Paintguy

Shimming between the hinge and frame should work, but jacking up the door is sometimes the best way with welded on hinges, as there's no adjustment available in the direction you require. Take your time and do it carefully though!

Or go out and buy a set of these:

http://www.power-tec.co.uk/main/showcat.ihtml?id=292

kenp
Shimming between the hinge and frame should work, but jacking up the door is sometimes the best way with welded on hinges, as there's no adjustment available in the direction you require. Take your time and do it carefully though!

Or go out and buy a set of these:

http://www.power-tec.co.uk/main/showcat.ihtml?id=292

Ooh... now there's a useful bit of kit. :(

Bit pricey though - I'll try the jack method first then as that won't involve taking all the trim off again, if that fails and breaks the pins I'll have the door off again, re-pin the hinges and try the shim method!

kenp

Quick update: Have to say the trolley jack / lump of wood under the door method worked a treat - took a couple of gentle attempts, just enough to lift the car on the suspension then next time a little more and the door shuts perfect now :P

Cheers guys, and the missus was impressed (I did do it while she was out though B) )

Sign in to follow this