• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GTI_Lee

Horn Not Working . . . . . Where To Look?

GTI_Lee

The other day my horn was working quietly - now it doesn't work at all. Where is the horn mounted on these and what is the best way of fixing? Urgent reply needed. MOT tomorrow

pacey205

Im assuming its a GTi with an air horn yes ?

The horn is mounted on the passenger side of teh car behind the bumper. Take off the passenger headlight and look down and youll see it. If its the air horn then its probably the compressor gone, mine was fooked and I got pissed off with it so just replaced it with an electric horn off another 205.

Id try giving all the contacts etc a clean up first and see if that helps.

Michael

welshpug

is it a 1.6 or a 1.9? they have different types of horn, but both are bolted to the front left bumper Iron under the headlamp.

most common problem is a dirty earth, which is just above it in the headlamp panel, the other thing it could be is the relay, which is one of the two next to the coolant resevoir, and lastly the stalk.

GTI_Lee

thanks mate...

its a 1988 f reg 205 gti.iv got the mot tomorrow so hoping to get it done tonight orelse im in s*it street lol.

ill have a look.. will it help with the air filter off aswell?

thanks lee

it is a 1.6 with a 1.9 eninge lol.

Rob_the_Sparky

Also check the fuse, that was what killed the horn on my 309 (bust rear window heater connection shorted out taking out the shared fuse).

RHULPUG

which fuse controls the heated rear screen and horn?.....mine was working 2 days ago too, but now not at all. Could the button on the end of the stalk be faulty or is it most likely to to be the contacts?

hexhamstu

mines stop working aswell, its a conspiracy

Rob_the_Sparky
which fuse controls the heated rear screen and horn?.....mine was working 2 days ago too, but now not at all. Could the button on the end of the stalk be faulty or is it most likely to to be the contacts?

Its obvious if blown, big gap where there should be metal. Didn't note the number, just replaced with similar fuse and tucked the shorted connector out of the way.

pug_ham

I had a probelm with mine a few weeks ago & although it wasn't blowing the fuse, the horn & heated rear window weren't working all the time.

Occasionally moving the heated rear window relay would get the heated rear window to work again but as soon as I tried to use the orn it would loose power & neither would work.

I tested all the wiring & the only thing I found was the wire that comes off the same fusebox plug as the horn to the heated rear window swtich was down to about two strands of wire left & once i replaced that terminal its been fine ever since.

Fuse #8 25A horn & heated rear window.

Graham.

GTI_Lee

right been looking for a while now.. had bumper off and cleaned all connectiong and earths on the horns... also looked in the fuse box and there isnt any fuses blown...

hmm anything else to try..i think im gunna have to nice talk my friendly mot guy if i cant work this out :ph34r:.

lee

pug_ham

Have you tried putting a 12v feed directly to the horn from the battery to see if the horn is dead?

Graham.

GTI_Lee

thanks for replys people.

i have sorted it went to see Mr E and he sold me some horns and they work :ph34r:

another problem now though just tried my reverse lights and none of them are working :)... where is the reverse switch?

thanks lee

pugrallye

was probably full of water lol

pug_ham

Reverse lights aren't part of the MOT test so it shouldn't fail but the reverse light switch is on the gearbox, just under the clutch arm.

Graham.

GTI_Lee

ok thanks people.. it passed today :)

but i did check the reverse swith and the lads has cut the connector off for some reason :wacko: so im going tohave to solder a new one on..

lee

Sign in to follow this