• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Radster

Big Gearbox Leak

Radster

Well my nicely rebuilt Mi is starting to make me want to consign the whole lot to the scrapheap! After I took the car up to 7k a leak appeared around the gearbox, had a look underneath and it appeared to be coming from the driver side shaft seal, ok no problems ill get some new seals. Put them on yesterday and its still leaking (when I say leak I mean its constantly flowing out of the seal, and is a steady stream of box oil dropping off the underside of the drivers side of the diff) I spent today taking the shafts out again and resitting the seal in the hope that perhaps the inner part wasnt sealing around the shaft properly, drove back and proceeded to empty most of the box onto the driveway, I now stink like cats piss and am so fcuking angry its not even true, I really cant think of much else it could be, the shaft appears to be ok so unless its being pulled out by something I dont know Anyone have any other ideas? Maybe selling this piece of s*it and buying a Civic TypeR isnt such a bad idea :lol:

Regards, (an incredibly annoyed and frustrasted)

Adam

yorkshirekowboy
Well my nicely rebuilt Mi is starting to make me want to consign the whole lot to the scrapheap! After I took the car up to 7k a leak appeared around the gearbox, had a look underneath and it appeared to be coming from the driver side shaft seal, ok no problems ill get some new seals. Put them on yesterday and its still leaking (when I say leak I mean its constantly flowing out of the seal, and is a steady stream of box oil dropping off the underside of the drivers side of the diff) I spent today taking the shafts out again and resitting the seal in the hope that perhaps the inner part wasnt sealing around the shaft properly, drove back and proceeded to empty most of the box onto the driveway, I now stink like cats piss and am so fcuking angry its not even true, I really cant think of much else it could be, the shaft appears to be ok so unless its being pulled out by something I dont know Anyone have any other ideas? Maybe selling this piece of s*it and buying a Civic TypeR isnt such a bad idea :lol:

Regards, (an incredibly annoyed and frustrasted)

Adam

hmm annoying mate, i had my diff casing leaking on me, proper annoying, fixed it, so nice no gearbox until i changed my pass wishbone now the seals leak now, i hope anyhow :( so ill have to change mine 3 time this year!!!!

anyhow back to your problem, its not overfilled i gather, what about the diff casing leaking...maybe loose bolt??

other than that maybe the drivers side driveshaft not in the box enough, so undo the the bolts thats keeps the long shaft in place located on the lower engine mount, push it in further, then tighten back up...

sorry if this no help.........

ps if you do scrap it, which i hope you dont :o ... ill buy your mi engine off :P

Edited by surferkid205

Radster

Hey mate, no its defo not overfilled (most certainly not now :lol:) Its coming out of the seal between the shaft and seal for sure. I left a slight lip on the seal when I resat it today in the hope it would create a better seal, taking it over to my dads tomoz, the only thing I can think of is the spring being crap at sealing or something has got between the seal and the shaft and is making a nice gap for the oil to escape from.

yorkshirekowboy
Hey mate, no its defo not overfilled (most certainly not now :() Its coming out of the seal between the shaft and seal for sure. I left a slight lip on the seal when I resat it today in the hope it would create a better seal, taking it over to my dads tomoz, the only thing I can think of is the spring being crap at sealing or something has got between the seal and the shaft and is making a nice gap for the oil to escape from.

yeah mate just looking the my new ones now and there is a spring there, could be crapped up, but if new maybe just a fault seal, but for that much to leak out, i would say the seal buggered, jees mate sh*t aint it, hate gearbox leaking, engine oil ok as u can tell if full and top up!!!

what make are the seals?? may have to keep away from them, mine are made my febi bilstein, from local motor factors, 4 quid each, wonder how much they are from pug, these are the second set in two months!!

if they break again, pugs one for sure!! :lol:

dani959

did you check if the driveshaft is knackered on the area that the seal is supposed to seal? :lol:

Ideally it should have a polished (and cylindrical) area!

Mikey S

if your using the aftermarket (gsf etc) seals, then dont bother. there crap.

genuine pug ones are about £15 quid for both sides plus vat.

you may want to also check the diff while your there. give the shafts a wobble up and down to see if there is any play in it. if there is the seals wont seal properly.

edit:

if there was play in the diff the other side would be leaking. ignore that last comment!

Edited by pugger

Radster

Thanks for the replies gents, Ill have a look for some of these things although the weather is hampering my progress at the moment ;) The shaft appeared to be ok, it just started leaking badly, was fine initially then BAM bad leaks :(

(And yes the seals are from a motorfactors, they cant be this bad though! B) )

Edited by Radster

Radster

I think we may have found out what the cause is. On the driveshaft is the bearing for the engine mount meant to be able to move or is it supposed to be fixed? The only thing it could be really is the shaft sliding out of the box a bit when I corner hence no longer creating a seal, so if that bearing is meant to be fixed and holds the shaft in place mine isnt and doesnt hold anything in place!

Radster

I think we may have found out what the cause is. On the driveshaft is the bearing for the engine mount meant to be able to move or is it supposed to be fixed? The only thing it could be really is the shaft sliding out of the box a bit when I corner hence no longer creating a seal, so if that bearing is meant to be fixed and holds the shaft in place mine isnt and doesnt hold anything in place!

M@tt

There should be 2 little bolts that hold that intermediate bearing in place. They are little L shaped things. Sounds like your missing those then!!

Radster

Nope ive got both of those, what I meant was is the bearing meant to be stuck solid on the shaft, I can basically take mine off if I wanted to. I assume the bearing must be fixed so that those L shaped pieces hold it in place which in turn holds the shaft in place, the shaft is able to slide on the bearing so doesnt have anything to keep it locked in :P

Mikey S

the bearing is supposed to be fixed to the shaft. once its in the mount with the bolts tight it shouldnt move anywhere. have you tried turning the steering lock to lock and watch what happens to the shaft?

Radster

That explains it then. I guess that when im driving about and turn a corner, rather than the outer section of the shaft stretching as the suspension shifts its just pulling the shaft out of the diff enough to let the oil flow out because although the bearing is locked in its not attached to the shaft so isnt holding it in place. When I got to my dads today the shaft had defo been pulled out slightly, well about half an inch :P

Mikey S
That explains it then. I guess that when im driving about and turn a corner, rather than the outer section of the shaft stretching as the suspension shifts its just pulling the shaft out of the diff enough to let the oil flow out because although the bearing is locked in its not attached to the shaft so isnt holding it in place. When I got to my dads today the shaft had defo been pulled out slightly, well about half an inch :P

get yourself a gkn one from gsf. much better quality than other shafts.

Sign in to follow this