• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Boll*** , Reshell Or Repair, With Pics.

Richie-Van-GTi

Just cut my rusty dented quarter panel off to be greeted by a lot more rust and a B pillar that isnt connected to anything worth mentioning. Few pics below so you can see top of b pillar is rotted away and mangled, bottom of pillar isnt connected at all due to rot and the wheel arch is starting to go around the edges.

Just after some advice really, should I weld new pieces in and stick the new quarter on along with loads of sealing materials or just cut the cage out the car, strip everything good from it and get a better shell and hope for the best? Ive got enough steel to sort it BTW so it wont cost me anything to repair. Just dont know if I should really be fixing it with the B pillar the way it is.?

normal_12052007196.jpg

normal_12052007197.jpg

normal_12052007199.jpg

normal_12052007200.jpg

max0
:D Id check the rest of the shell then decide

Baz
:( If it were me i'd find another shell, but i'm scared of bodywork on that scale! :lol:

Richie-Van-GTi

ret of the shell is sound, this area has been problematic since I got the car as a coach had reversed into the quarter. Didnt know the rust had spread so much, previous owner had filled the rear quarter with spray foam and I think its collected water against the panels. Ive had another good look around it and cleaned up a bit of the sill area. Looks solid enough to take a weld so Im gonna try fixing it up first I reckon.

PsychoSimon

I would fix that mate. Take your time making the panels and go bigger than you really need to, but looking at the pictures f the trailer that your making that you posted the other day I'd ay you got no problems.

Just don't do what I did and spend weeks solid on it, then go and wreck yourself n an accident so you can't get he benefits and have to sell it all on lmao.

I posted those parts for you yesterday by the way *sniffle*

Rob_the_Sparky

Yep, if you know for sure that this is due to an accident then check carefully over the rest of the car. No more rust then repair it, you've got this far you may as well...

Really when compared to cars that really rust (read older English motors) this really is pretty minor stuff and perfectly repairable. Just make sure you go to town on the finishing after the repair to make damn sure it doesn't start rusting again as soon as you finish.

Rob

Richie-Van-GTi

Got the parts this morning, thanks si.

Rob its definately rust free elsewhere, even the front panel was clear of rust :D, I think I'll spend a few hours just cleaning it all up properly and the see whats what from there I guess. Id definatley rather just repair it, already got a genuine quarter here to go on. From what I can tell though the panel is bonded on rather than welded, except for a few spots here and there. Seems crazy to me.

Sign in to follow this