• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Bike Body Update, Pics And Advice Please

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive been doing a bit with my R1 bodies getting them ready to fit the 16v head. So far Ive split them into seperate bodies and cut an Mi manifold down and fit them to to it. I then rebolted the bodies together using various washers and threaded bar etc. Ive also removed the venturis from the bodies as they only open half way so I can see them being restrictive. Looking for some advice now on how best to proceed.

1) the bodies use an auto choke that has a small water block thing that expands to push the chokes closed when the coolant is up to temp (you will see the choke bar cut up on pictuires) Should I weld this bar back together and reattach the water block thing to retain an auto choke feature?

2) the connectors between each body no longer meet so they are not linked together, should I mess about trying to extend each one so I can still adjust each butterfly position individually or while I have the chance should I allow each butterfly to fully close then weld the links together so they are all fixed at the exact same closed position.

3) What trumpets do I use? I.D is 38mm, O.D is around 41ish.

4) Do you think they look close enough to the head as I am retaining the bodies injector position and welding the standards over on the manifold.

normal_12052007193.jpg

normal_12052007194.jpg

normal_12052007195.jpg

chris 417 mi

looking good matey :lol: glad to see that manifold came in useful :(

Dream Weaver

Just a small point - have you test fitted the manifold/carbs to the engine whilst in the car?

I made my first manifold quite small before test fitting the bodies and they fouled the engine mount badly, so I had to start again.

Richie-Van-GTi

havent test fited no as the engine is in lots of pieces. I'll make them fit somhow ;)

Mikey G

I'm sure these are normally mounted with the injectors underneath and the venturi chambers on the top? thats what i have seen on the bike anyway so maybe that was causing a problem with the venturi's?

When we went to fit them to an alloy block Mi16 the engine mount was seriously in the way. Maybe the cast block will be different as it runs a slimmer engine mount.

Dream Weaver
havent test fited no as the engine is in lots of pieces. I'll make them fit somhow :P

Its worth checking asap - I would have had to remove 50% of the engine mount to make them fit ;)

Richie-Van-GTi

Mikey they do normally run the opposite way around but it would effect the movement on the venturi's. They are physically only capable of half opening, with them removed it doesnt matter which way up they sit and it seems easier to fit with injectors at the top.

Dream weaver, Im gonna try get the bottom end back together enough to shove the mount on today and see whats what.

jonand

Just a small (but important) point. Have you checked that the bonnet will close! - my R1 carbs with Bogg Bros manifold on the S16 was VERY close.

Regards

Jon

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive mounted them on the downward turn of the manifold so they sit lower, I had issues with my previous setup fouling (gsxr carbs on 8v). I resolved that by taking all the bracing off underside of the bonnet :ph34r:

I should have clearance with these though.

gtimon
Ive mounted them on the downward turn of the manifold so they sit lower, I had issues with my previous setup fouling (gsxr carbs on 8v). I resolved that by taking all the bracing off underside of the bonnet :P

I should have clearance with these though.

Can anyone clear an arguement I'm having about these R1 and GSXR carbs on an 8v unit.

I say the R1's are mounted steeper due to the angle of the float chamber and therefore will not fit under the bonnet skin and the GSXR carbs will fit but tight, because the carbs have a different float chamber angle.

Or will they both fit on a 8v unit with the Bogg Bros manifold. :wacko:

Thanks

Sign in to follow this