• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupertfinch

ABS driveshaft problems

Rupertfinch

Gonna sound like a bit of a twat - but miles away from the Haynes 'book of lies' at this moment in time. Am I right to assume that when you buy a new drive shaft it already comes with the CV boots in place - I noticed a split in my drivers side boot the other day and would rather replace the whole drive shaft if it took less time than piddling about with a stretchy boot - I have no idea how long it's been like this, could be a couple of months (no serious mileage done on it).

Actually I also have abs and a 1.9 braking system on my 1.6 - so should I get 1.9 driveshaft?

Incidentally - there's a Jap import 205 on autotrader.ie (the irish/northern irish) - this amused me greatly!

Super Josh

Yep, a new driveshaft comes with the boots already installed. If you've got ABS, then you'll need to get an ABS driveshaft. This differs from a normal shaft in that it has teeth milled into the outer CV joint that the ABS system uses to detect wheel speed. I don't think FSF sell ABS 'shafts, so not sure where you'll get one from. Someone will advise though :P

jackherer

I've got 309 ABS shafts from euro car parts before for sensible prices and they list the 205 ones as in stock but they are a lot more money.

Rupertfinch

Cheers for the responses Super Josh and Jackherer. Balls - it just goes to show you should never buy the first pug you go and look at, esp when you've bugger all car mechanical knowledge! 2 years later I now know what to look for - anything without abs!

jackherer

Its not that hard to totally remove all the ABS stuff, I've done it to my mates 205 and Richard had his removed by Miles recently.

Technically they should both fail MOT tests now but it hasn't been spotted.

Rupertfinch

Upping the potential Twat stakes here.

Is it possible to fit a new non ABS driveshaft to a ABS motor (afaik it isn't working anyway, though cunning use of relays makes the MOT inspector think it is)? Not bothered about the teeth on the outer CV joint meshing with the ABS gubbins.

If this is possible, then dilema simply become 1.6 or 1.9 driveshafts? It is a 1.6 but uses the 1.9 braking system.

pug_ham

If your car has the ABS system fitted I think you'll need the driveshaft from a 1.9 GTi to replace it.

To check if your car has 1.9 hubs fitted have a look at the driveflange, there should be two opposing cut out's it if its a 1.9 hubs(see attached image). The 1.6 GTi's are solid.

Surely if you order the wrong one you'll be able to exchange it for the correct one anyway?

Graham.

post-71-1178668238.jpg

inferno

1.6 abs models use 1.9 abs shafts. 1.9 non abs shafts may work fine as the abs is already not functional.it will fit at least.

However if the shafts makeing no noise, u really would be better off buying a cv boot for about 4 quid and fitting it, making sure you regrease it. at least that way youll have time to find a replacement shaft. there expensive new. and there hard to get hold of second hand.

if you rebuild the shaft, make sure to keep everything clean and dont lose any roller bearings.

pug_ham
However if the shafts makeing no noise, u really would be better off buying a cv boot for about 4 quid and fitting it, making sure you regrease it. at least that way youll have time to find a replacement shaft. there expensive new. and there hard to get hold of second hand.
I agree, if the shaft isn't making any noises that point to it being in need of replacement & its still a genuine oe Pug one, a new stretchy boot & an hour or so work to fit it is far better than getting a recon driveshaft.

You don't even need to drain the gearbox to fit the boot with the stretchy boot & cone.

Swapping a driveshaft is going to take longer without a doubt.

Graham.

Rupertfinch

Cheers for the responses - went and bought a stretchy boot and cone yesterday so will be able to get her up on hydraulic ramps tonight and should get it regreased and replaced.

Not too sure if its making much noise from the shaft or not, too many other groans and rattles probably masking this! Actually should probably be glad not to have to fit a new driveshaft as the loss of gearbox oil would pain me greatly - it just had some lovely Total BV only 700 miles ago! And I paid bloody dealer price for it!

Will recount my tale of how the boot didn't fit and the gearbox spontaneously emptied its 'cat piss' smell over my trousers in tomorrows exciting installment.

Be good

richard

You can use standard drive shafts, just that your ABS will now no longer be working.

I did so for nine months...mind you i never got the ABS to kick in so (80-0 didnt give me anything back on the pedal.) Either im super smooth or dont try hard enough.

Theres a sizeable difference in prices as well as the ease with which you can get one. 1 x ABS drive shaft is around 150 from pug....which could almost get you both on a non ABS car.

Although my ABS has now been removed i still have the ABS driveshafts attached as they were in good condition.

Rupertfinch

I assume that putting on different shafts resulted in no problems with handling or ordinary braking - I plan to keep the abs system in place, partly because I have bugger all clue how to uninstall it and don't fancy taking a big hammer to it.

Almost forgot to ask which shafts you had fitted - but as I've 1.9 brakes and hubs on my 1.6 - I reckon the 1.9 drive shaft will be prefect. Cheers for the responses.

Edited by Rupertfinch

Rupertfinch

Nver mind being 'prefect' may even be head boy!

Super Josh

:lol: @ the Prefect comment. You'll have 1.9 shafts fitted, so you'll be fine.

Josh

Rupertfinch

I always like to see a thread come to an end, so just thought I would update on the CV boot/drive shaft woes.

Didn't bother to get new shaft, reckoned that the stretchy boot and cone would do. No 35mm hub socket exist within a 25 mile radius, but got away with a 36mm. While trying to get wishbone clear of hub managed to pull out driveshaft - great! Warm leg and the smell of cat piss! Although this then rendered the stretching cone completely useless, it did serve to further extend my knowledge of drive shafts - and emptied the gearbox in record time.

Boot was very easy to put on once shaft was firmly in a vice, and she's been lubed up to within an inch of her life. Most of gearbox oil was caught in a pan and put back into 'box (reckon after 92k a few miles with re-used oil won't do anymore harm than has already been done). Will renew Total BV soon, although only did it less than 1k ago!

So thanks to all those who offered me advice, this forum's great! And drive shafts slot back into place very easily (please tell me this is the case, otherwise i'm screwed).

Sign in to follow this